Bay Days

Rant: I just wasted 2 hours of my life reading a sappy story. I need something bad or some action to happen. God bless. 🙄 If I ever write just sappy stuff please all of you comment and tell me to get my shit together.

Gerald POV

Kevin ran through the front door as soon as we got home from dinner with the team. Danny sighed and sat her things down before wandering over to her laptop. She placed a CD in the drive and let it play while she picked up Kevin.

"Time for bed my little prince." He yawns before whining slightly as he placed his head on her shoulder.

"I'm not tired yet mommy. I wanna stay up with you and daddy." She laughed softly and said something to him I couldn't hear as she walked up the stairs. I sat down and took the laptop scrolling through logic's tracks. One stood out in the form of a phone number. I swallowed the lump in my throat at the memories seeing that suicide hotline number.

She was quiet as she sat in the back of the high school classroom. Our senior year, how could I forget. I couldn't believe I hadn't recognized her. Daniella Evans. She was a dork in the beginning of high school, quiet and reserved. From what I heard she was a virgin all throughout that time. Yet her she sat in booty shorts and a hoodie staring at her book. I followed her after class back towards the city and cleared my throat.

"Daniella right?" She jumped slightly and turned around, glancing to me as she nodded.

"You're Gerald Gillum. Fancy seeing you again." I nodded and motioned to the street.

"Want some company?"

"Sure." She bit her lips together and kept walking as I caught up.

"So what did you do over the summer?" I said awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck.

"I um stayed in the Bay area most of the time. My dad dipped and so I had to help my mom with the bills."

"Here I thought I was the only one with daddy issues." She nodded and glanced down the street. I watched her body tense at the sight of something. "Isn't this your street?"

"Yeah. I um forgot something back at school. It was nice walking with you." She lowered her head and bumped into me, dropping her books. "Fuck, I'm so sorry." I managed a weak laugh and kneeled down, helping her gather them. Her sleeve raised slightly and I saw the dark bruise on her forearm. Her eyes met mine and I saw nothing but fear. "Please don't tell anyone Gerald. I gotta go." She ran home, leaving me there in the street. The next day she didn't show up for school, which was odd enough though it was a Friday. She wasn't one to skip.

At the end of the day I took my usual route home though I stopped and looked down her street. Her house was the one with the roses outside. I only know because I stole one for my mom when I was young. I slowly walked down the block and up to her front door, knocking then taking a step back. I wasn't prepared for when the door opened. She looked so fragile, her lip was busted and her skin pale.

"Daniella?"

"You shouldn't be here Gerald." She whispered and looked back inside. Only now could I see the bruise on her neck.

"Come on, let's take a walk. Please." She bit her lip roughly and nodded before quietly closing the front door. "Daniella what's going on?" I mumbled as we walked. "I know we're not really friends, but you're pretty banged up."

"My mom's boyfriend came home drunk and he-" She stopped and I could fill in the blanks. "Then this morning he drank himself death because my mom said she was gonna call the police." My stomach churned and I motioned down the street. "My mom just fell asleep a few hours ago."

"My mom's making dinner why don't you come over. You can borrow one of my hoodies I won't tell them." She nodded and I offered my hand which she took. It was the start of our friendship. It was when she told me about the cuts on her wrists that it hit home. After the guy raped her she didn't want to be here anymore. Granted I'd met her the last time he ever touched her. I couldn't fucking blame her though because I didn't understand since I'd never been in her shoes.

" What are you thinking about Gerald?" I jumped slightly and glanced to her. Who would have thought she'd be my wife one day. Her silk robe flowing down to the floor.

" How we met. High school senior year."

"The year before my mom died." She sighed slightly and straddled my lap. " You were always there for me. Your mom gave me a place to stay while I got my shit together. I remember I had the biggest crush on you when we got to college. You were too busy chasing tail." I chuckled and sat back to take in the full view. I could see the lace bra peaking from the top of her robe.

"I don't remember much of college. Though I do recall you picking up the pieces every time I got stuck or got my heart broken." She nodded then glanced to the CD still in my hand, taking it and looking through the track titles.

"I think I know what's got you thinking." Her eyes raised to look in mine before she sat it down. "I don't remember much, but I know it was the summer after high school when I did that shit." She shivered slightly. Could could I forget the day I thought I lost her. At the time she was my best friend. If she had died the same way Mel died I wouldn't have forgiven myself.

"I was so scared when I found you. You were shivering in the middle of the summer and I knew something was wrong." I brushed my thumb against her cheek before pressing a kiss to her lips. We never really did enjoy talking about the Bay days. It was an unspoken rule to never really mention the darkest days of our lives.