Mourning

Daniella POV

They all keep telling me it will get easier with time. Yet the space in my bed is still there. His clothes still in the suitcase from the car accident. Wedding band hanging from my necklace and my own around my mangled finger. I rolled over and looked to the spot where he once was every morning and if he wasn't surely there was a note.

I glanced to the clock and sighed, sitting up. I'd already slept the day away and surely Gerald would be bringing Kevin to stay with Leo and I for the week. I forced myself out of bed and looked in the mirror. The external wounds had healed yet inside I still felt it all. My mind still ached from the memories.

Slowly I put on some sweats and one of Aaron's shirts before going to Leo's room. He was still taking his nap, which I was thankful for, giving me time to get Kevin settled when he comes. I tried to busy myself with something until Gerald came by, which thankfully wasn't long. The doorbell rang and I went to answer it, tilting my head to the side. He was holding a cake and balloons, I almost freaked thinking it was Kevin's birthday.

"Happy birthday mommy! Look! I made you a card!" I knelt down and hugged him before looking to the card. In it all I had forgotten my own birthday.

"Wow baby this is beautiful. Thank you so much." I kissed his cheek before standing.

"Happy birthday. I wanted to see if you'd be cool if the others came over for a bit later. If not well you're gonna have to eat all this cake by yourself." He had a goofy smile on his lips thought it seemed more nervous than anything.

" Yeah that'd be okay. Um please come in, how have you been this week?" He walked in and glanced around, placing the cake on the table.

" Just working on some new stuff. I needed a break from touring." He sat down and looked to the tv. I sat down on the opposite side of the sofa, bringing my knees to my chest. He typed on his phone for a moment before glancing to me. "How are you?"

"I'm hanging in there." I bit my lips together and looked at my finger. "Never really knew how useful my ring finger was until lately. Granted I've still got half of it, but surely doesn't hold things as well. I was debating on venturing into work this week. I know Ellie keeps telling me she's got it handled, but I still wanna be there for her. After all its my company I should be pushing it off on anyone." He leaned over slightly. I could smell his cologne now and really look into his eyes.

"stop worrying about it Dee. Take all the time you need." The doorbell rang and he got up. I forced a smile onto my face as everyone rushed inside. Lani, Ellie, Grady, Brady, Matt, Marty, Blizzy, Suz, James, Richard, and Jess. The whole gang was here. Instead of feeling at piece my stomach churned and I sunk into my stop on the sofa after the party began. I sipped on a glass of wine and tried to just focus on the TV instead of all the voices. It was overwhelming to say the least.

I stood and walked out back looking at the view. My grip tighted on the glass till I threw it as hard as I could. It hit a tree way out of the yard as I sat down and took a deep breath.

"It's bad luck to be alone on your birthday." I glanced to see Gerald holding a glass of whiskey. His sleeves rolled up and jacket long gone.

"I can't really get any worse luck." I shrugged as he sat down beside me. He took a sip of his whisky and sighed.

"Scares me knowing I'm turning thirty four this year."

"Age doesn't scare me anymore. I think people scare me the most." He nodded and sat back, his hand resting on my back.

"We all love you Dee. You haven't been yourself since.... Since the accident. It's been three months. Don't you think it's time to continue with your own life? I'm not saying forget the guy. I'm saying take care of yourself. You're only thirty three. You've got decades left. Don't watch it go by like it's nothing." I swallowed the lump in my throat and just nodded. " Come on. Come make your wish." He stood and offered me his hand. I took it and he led me to the kitchen where the lights were all out. Everyone was singing happy birthday as I stood by the counter.

If there was one thing I could have wished it was for Aaron to magically come back. Then again I was a realist. He was gone and I had accepted that fact. So I can wished for the only thing I could think of in that moment.

I closed my eyes and blew out the candles as everyone cheered. I'd wished for happiness. If I couldn't have Aaron then I just wanted to be happy for the rest of my life. I glanced to Gerald then looked down that I was still holding his hand. I let go and managed a weak smile before watching Ellie cut the cake for everyone. I wandered into the living room seeing Leo with Suz. His features reminded me of the man his father was and his smile the very same.

I sat down and put him on my lap as he yawned. His blue eyes blinking rapidly from being sleepy. Suz left the room and I laid him against my chest.

"I promise you that you'll feel so much love. Love from people I love. I know you're daddy isn't here, but you've got an amazing family. Plenty of amazing men to look up to my sweet boy. I'm sure daddy misses you." I kissed his temple. "I miss him too, but I'm gonna promise you I'll do what's best for you."

So I did.