Grey Greens

Gerald POV

I'd never forget the phone call that night. The storm was raging outside as I sat drinking a glass of whiskey.

" Hello?"

"Gerald- it's- it's Danny." Ellie was sobbing and I stood already putting on my jacket. "Her, Aaron, and the boys were in a acc-accident. Aaron's dead Gerald! Danny's in surgery and Kevin has a concussion. Leo's okay he's just banged up. Gerald I - I don't know what to do!"

"Ellie what hospital. You gotta tell me that much I'm on my way alright."

"I'll send you the address. Gerald she's gonna be so heartbroken. I can't believe he's gone."

"Me neither. I'm on my way alright. I'll be there soon." I grabbed my keys to the landrover. At least that would make it in the rain. My heart was racing as I drove to the hospital, gripping the steering wheel. Aaron was gone. Dead. Danny would be in pieces. Her son left without a father. She didn't deserve this at all. My stomach knotted with emotions as I kept driving. I didn't know what I'd say to her. How to even begin consoling her for her lose. I parked the car and walked inside with a umbrella, gripped in my hand.

I made my way down the halls and signed in at the nurse's station. I lied and said I was her husband just so they'd let me in this time. I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see. Kevin was rubbing his head, he had cuts all over him. Leo was in Ellie's arms asleep. Then there was Danny.

Her hair knotted, cuts, bruises, arm wrapped up. Only then did I see her ring finger wrapped. She'd lost a piece of it, down to the second knuckle. Her wedding band and engagement ring sitting on the side table. She'd still be able to wear it since there was enough of the finger left. Her lips were busted too, almost a shade of purple from bruising.

"Gerald?" I looked to Ellie, only now did I realize I was crying as she handed me Danny's son. He was asleep but had her blonde hair and some of her features like her lips. The rest he surely had from his dad. "I'm sorry I didn't know who else to call. I need to go call Grady and the others. They wouldn't let me use my phone here cause of the machines."

"Just go sit with her. I'll call everyone. Relax, I'll make sure everything is set for whatever she needs." She just nodded and joined Danny once more. I saw the doctor walking down the hall and cleared my throat. "Hey! I need to know who her doctor is and I want her having the best fucking care."

"I'm her doctor Sir. Who are you?"

"The father of that little boy in there and that's his mother."

"I have other patients to attend to sir-"

"I don't fucking care!" I felt my temper rising. "That's the mother of my child in there and I want her treated with the most care she can get understand! She lost her fucking husband tonight and she's gonna need help! And I don't even know-how " I was stopped when she screamed no even the doctor jumped. Ellie was holding Danny in a hug as she kept sobbing No over and over again.

My heart sunk as Leo began to cry softly. I bounced him in my arms and hushed him, watching Danny self distruct.

"I'll go get the nurses. She'll be treated with the best care I can provide. I'm sorry for her lose and yours." I just nodded and walked into the room. Danny looked so tired as I sat down and handed her Leo. She looked at him as tears slid down her cheeks.

"Is he okay?"

"Yeah other then some scratches. Danny. I'm here for you. I'm so sorry baby girl." She looked to me then back down at Leo.

"Can-Can you just give him to Suz to watch. I honestly can't sit up any longer." I nodded and took him, handing him off to Suzanne who walked into the hall, bouncing him. Kevin was asleep coiled with Ellie.

Danny laid down and looked at her hand before brushing her tears away. I cleared my throat and offered my hand.

"Like I said I'm here for you." She nodded as the tears started again. I stood and pulled her into a gentle hug.

" Why Aaron? Why not me?! I shouldn't have told him to turn around Gerald! It's my fault! He's dead and it's all my fault!"

"Stop!" I moved to hold her face gingerly between my hands. " Kevin and Leo need you. I know right now everything fucking hurts." Dare I say I was crying too. I was crying because she was alive and because she was hurt. "We're all here for you. Ellie will handle the company. I got the kids with my mom. You relax okay. Aaron wouldn't want you like this baby girl. Right? He'd want you happy." She nodded a little before I let her go and she laid down. She was staring at the heart monitor screen.

"I can't stop picturing him... The blood coming from his mouth and his face so bloody. Then the car it started tumbling more. I was so scared for the boys." Her eyes were getting heavy from the medication in the IV once again getting pumped through her system. "I'm so sorry I fucked up. I got him.... Killed." She fell asleep and I rubbed my face before reaching out to her and gently tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Is she finally back asleep?" I looked to the Ellie and Kevin. Kevin held his hand out for me and I took him from Ellie.

"mommy gonna be okay?"

"yeah buddy. You okay?"

"I was scared for Leo. Daddy where is Aaron?" I had to choose my words carefully and signed.

" You know how I told you God takes good people early. Like grandma Mel I told you about?" He nodded. "Well God called up Aaron and told him he has a very important job. He has to watch over you and your baby brother from heaven. He has to watch over your mommy too."

"And what about you daddy. Why didn't you get that job?"

"Because daddy wasn't as good as Aaron. So daddy is gonna stay right here with you, mommy, and Leo. I'm gonna take care of you as Aaron watches over and one day we'll all go see him." He nodded before leaning his head against my chest.