"That's not dad"

For some context, once a week my parents would go out running with friends and leave my sister and I (me, 14, her 10) alone for a few hours. It would be dark so usually they wore neon clothing. Also, where I lived it's common for houses to have a 7ft+ wall around it. The door to the front yard could be opened from the kitchen by a display, where you could see who was ringing the doorbell on a screen.

This was a regular night, they'd left in a taxi about 20 minutes ago to get to the meetup point. Since our doorbell was broken, my sister sat in the kitchen to watch the screen. I happened to be in the room when it lit up, showing a man looking at the ground in a neon yellow windbreaker.

"Oh, dad's home early" I pointed out, a little confused

"Yeah, maybe he hurt himself." My sister walked over, reaching out to the display to open the door when I stopped her. My dad is a fairly tall man, about 6ft, where this guy look about 5'5.

"That's not dad"

We both froze. The screen stayed on for a full 3 minutes, showing he was ringing the bell repeatedly (it's supposed to turn off after 30 seconds). He seemed to be getting frustrated and started banging his fists against the door. We could hear him shouting slurs at us, calling us bitches, sluts, telling us to let him in.

Eventually he walked off, throwing his hands in the air as if he was annoyed. My sister and I stayed huddled in her room until our parent called us 45 minutes later for us to open the door for them.

I don't know why we didn't call them when we first saw the guy. Shock? Scared of being in trouble for almost letting him in? But by the time they'd come home we had calmed down told them everything.

Turns out, my dad had forgotten his windbreaker in the taxi on the way to the meetup point. So it seems the driver had come back, posed as my dad, and tried to get into the house.

We haven't been left alone since, and it took me ages before I finally stopped being scared of this man who had our address and somehow knew that my sister and I were still in the house. It still fills me with dread me thinking of how long he could've been watching my family for in order to plan this.

Taxi driver that posed as my dad, let's not meet again