He Was In My House

So the story goes, I lived in the historic district of Suffolk, VA. Not the best place, but hey! What can you do. We lived in an older Victorian style home, & I was about 15 at the time. It was a three-story home, 3000(?) square foot, so you couldn't necessarily hear anything from the other side of the house most times.

As you walk into the house, you see the L-Shaped stairs to your right, and there is an archway right ahead of you looking into the den, and the arch way to your left looks into the living room. From the top of the stairs, you could see straight down to the door, and the living room.

Now that the scene is set, I'll go on with the story:

Me and my 3 best friends, Kay, Anna, and Elle, were in the game room at the top of the stairs, with my mom. It was about 10 pm, and we spent the day at my house, and Kay (who was 17,) was going to drive us all back to her house to watch her house while her mom was at her boyfriend's house overnight. I had, Rest In Peace her sweet soul, a pure white German Shepard named Angel who was about 15 at the time. She barely ever barked, and was just kind of a large lap dog.

My mom was taking a picture of all four of us on the couch, when we heard Angel bark. Loud. And start to growl. We knew immediately something was wrong, and my mom told us to be quiet, and turned off the light of the room we were in and told us not to move off the couch, as to not alert anything going on downstairs, if there even was anything. We immediately shut our loud teenager mouths, and heard my mom going down the hallway.

We then hear my mom scream, "Get the FUCK out of my house you son of a bitch!" My mom is not a scared, scream your head off kind of woman. And I knew that. So I go to the hall and see my mom gripping a steak knife she kept in the dresser right by the top of the stairs. I hear the front door slam, and thumps on my porch, and my mom runs down the stairs and turns on the security alarm, which wasn't on because we just came in from hanging out outside. My mom runs up the stairs and tells us what she saw, and it shook us all to the core.

She saw a tall man- bandana on, beanie on, boots, and a rope around his shoulder and arm, creeping in and starting to approach the stairs. She said she startled him and he ran out quickly, but asked us if we would stay there with her tonight, as my dad was on deployment & my little brother and sister were already asleep. Kay immediately called her mom and told her what was going on and she said she had no problem with Kay staying back with us.

So, whoever the hell tried to do... whatever to five women you knew were home alone, fuck you, and let's hope we never meet. And thank you to my beautiful dog, who knows what would have happened if she didn't bark and alert us beforehand.