The Man At My Front Door

My parents built a house in the country when I was a kid. We were surrounded by 25 acres of trees on one side, and cornfields on every other side. Our road was a single lane, unlit. The driveway had motion sensor lights, but animals were always setting those off, so I learned to ignore them.

One night, when I was probably 9 years old, I was lying on the living room floor watching TV. My parents were asleep up on the 2nd floor. They didn't care that I was up since summer break was underway. Anyway, I was lying there in the dark, on our emerald green 90's carpet, watching TV, and around 11 the light from the front steps suddenly went out.

I whipped my head around and saw some guy crouched down on the front porch looking through the window next to the door. He had choppy dark hair and was wearing a white t-shirt. I felt him make eye contact with me. Then he jumped up and started rattling the door knob...which was unlocked.

Luckily, the deadbolt was turned. I really do mean that it was lucky because no one I've ever lived with has cared about locking doors; I was probably the one who turned the deadbolt that night. I finally got up the nerve to run to the steps leading upstairs (they were right by the front door). He started banging on the door at that point.

I scrambled upstairs and launched myself at my dad. Dad ran downstairs and managed to spot the guy running across our front yard toward one of the cornfields. Keep in mind the corn was tall since it was summertime. My dad then went outside with his rifle and our dog to make sure he was gone. Even little me thought that was stupid, but he didn't run into the creep. We never saw the guy again. Oh, and the light went out because he unscrewed the bulb.

When I look back on it, I wonder what his goal was. He had to have seen me from the light of the TV, and he kept going after he knew I saw him. Was he trying to kidnap me? Was he a spectacularly crappy burglar? Was he a killer? Was he just some random guy on drugs? Some combination of the above?