Dog Saved My Family

Little background, I used to live in a very urban area, but it was pretty safe until a few months before we moved out. This happened when I was 7. It was 9pm and it was nearly pitch black outside. Most people have a front door, a side door, and a back door. We heard a knock on our side door. My mom actually answered it which I couldn't believe she did. As I got older I understood how fucking stupid that was. It was dark out, late, and they came to the side door; not the front.

Anyway, at the door was two guys. Probably in there late teens to early twenties. I used to have a dog named Melissa or Missy. She was a husky and border collie mix. My dog immediately started growling at them. She never really barked or growled unless something was wrong. The two men claimed they were selling tires. The more they talked the more suspicious my mom got. She had only opened the actual door, not the screen door. She tried to shut the door, but the two men pushed through the screen door. Missy jumped at them and tried to attack them. The two guys took off running. Missy chased after them a little, but my mom grabbed her before she could go too far. My dad came out of his room by then and chased them outside.

Across the street there were more houses and behind those houses there is 10 foot fence that leads to apartments on a main road. These guys ran across the street, climbed the fence, and took off up the main road. We called the police as soon as my dad got back in the house. I don't remember if they ever caught them or not. I honestly believe if we didn't have a dog they would've broken into our house. They could've done God knows what to us. Missy passed away several years ago and I can't thank that dog enough for what she did for me and my family. She was protective of us when my siblings and I were all babies; too. She would sleep under our cribs at night. Hell, that dog thought we were her puppies. But two creepy robbers, let's not meet again. Ever.