Sophie reluctantly slid her tongue across the the roof of her mouth until it hit her teeth. Immediately, she noticed her canines were sticking out further than any of her other teeth, to an alarming degree. And as she slid her tongue around them, she noticed just how sharp they were. She had fangs, essentially. And for some reason, that terrified her.

With a shaky voice and tears pooled idly in her eyes, Sophie sat up to look at Cortez. It pained him to see the absolute, raw terror in her beautiful emerald eyes. She raised her hand to touch her teeth but stopped when she noticed her claws. They were terrifyingly sharp, just like her new fangs. The tears welled up in her eyes fell as she stared at her hands in front of her. She felt like a monster.

"You're okay, Sophie." Cortez gently grabbed Sophie's wrists. She looked up at him, spotting his warm smile and extended canines. He was showing her his fangs. "You're alright. It's normal."

Sophie sat in silence as she stared at Cortez. Why hadn't he ever shown her he had fangs? On him, they looked even more intimidating than she originally thought. They were sharp, glistening with spit, pairing perfectly with his sharp jawline and piercing black eyes. Sophie watched as Cortez retracted them, the horror never fading. She was shocked. She had no idea he had the ability to extend and extract them whenever he pleased.

Another spark of pain shot through Sophie, the white and gold light violently flashing. She fell to her hands and knees again as she whimpered in pain. Cortez attempted to soothe her as the flickering continued, getting brighter and more violent. He watched as it pulsated down the length of her wolf again, revealing it's size and power.

Cortez couldn't deny how excited he was to see her wolf but first, he wanted to make sure she was okay. He had seen wolves shift multiple times when they had come of age and so far, the pain seemed to match with everyone else's. Expect, she was shifting to quickly. It usually took hours before there was any sign of claws or fangs. It only took two hours for Sophie. Cortez couldn't figure out if she was rushing this on her own or if it was her wolf.

All he could do was hope for the best. Everything looked alright so far.

Until Sophie stopped trembling, stopped crying, stopped panting. Simply froze up. The shape of her wolf flickered and then died out. Then, her eyes fell shut and her body went limp and she fell over sideways. Cortez nearly choked on his heart as he rushed to her side. He cupped her face and begged her to look at him or say something, but she didn't. He listened for her heart and her breathing, both were slow and weak of any power.

She was lifeless. Nearly dead.

This isn't how this usually went.

"Sophie.. Please, my angel, you have to wake up." Cortez pleaded as he caressed her face in his hands.

There was nothing.

Cortez carefully snaked his arms around Sophie's small figure and pulled her into him, holding her head against his chest with his other arm around her shoulders. He let his eyes fall shut as he refrained from getting too caught up in his emotions. It was hard. This felt too familiar. Cortez hated pleading for her life. He had done it too many times. It hurt so much to see her in pain. It was even worse seeing her on the verge of death.

As Cortez held Sophie in his lap, he felt her skin grow hot at an alarming speed. He opened his eyes to see the white and gold light steadily shimmering in the air. The white and gold tangled, crossed, brightened, and faded all around her. Cortez slowly laid Sophie back on the floor and scooted away from her, seeing the shape of her wolf surrounding her like a fluorescent ghost made of electricity.

Sophie's wolf was manifesting. It was taking over and bringing itself to life. Cortez anxiously watched as Sophie disappeared into the white and gold light. Slowly but surely, somewhere within the light, the texture of fur started to appear. Cortez was tempted to reach out and touch but he knew not to. The appearance of a regular wolf slowly took over the light until it had faded into nothing.