1 | a girl like that

Start from the beginning

I couldn't tell if any of this made any sense or if he was just totally talking out of his ass right now. Probably the latter.

Either way, I wasn't about to do anything about it. There's no way she's here alone, and even if she was, she wouldn't be interested in me. I also don't want to be that guy who's annoying a girl when she is just trying to be alone.

When I didn't answer, Connor just shook his head. "Just keep staring, man," he muttered. I ignored him.

A few minutes later, a guy did approach her. Goddamnit I should have made my move now this guy's going to get her you shouldn't be such a loser Shawn.

I watched the whole thing; the way he leaned over the back of her chair, talking into her ear; the way he ran his hand down her arm, reaching her hand and interlacing their fingers. The way that she kissed his cheek and smiled at him. I knew she wasn't here alone. A girl like that.

The whole thing gave me a bad taste in my mouth, but I still watched them, wondering what he was saying to her, wondering what he had said to make her laugh, wondering what name he had called her. Wondering if they would go home together, and if she would say "I love you" before they went to bed. And wondering if he said "I love you too," and really meant it.

Oh my God, I need to stop. I don't even know her name.

At this point in time, I had gone back to watching the rest of the party, trying to remove that girl that I didn't even know from my mind. Connor looked at me again, then nonchalantly glanced back at her.

"The good ones are always taken," he said, looking at the pair a bit longer. I nodded, as if I didn't care. "God, they know that people can see them, right?"

I laughed a bit. "I don't think they care." I was jealous.

He gave me a look, and then looked at them again, as if he was figuring something out. "Hey, that's Jake Dempsey."

"Who?"

"Jake Dempsey. The guy who's going making out with your girl."

I cringed. "First of all, she's not my girl. And who's Jake Dempsey?"

Connor gave me a look, as if I was the stupidest person alive. "You know, he was in those movies. Maybe in some big tv show. I don't really know exactly what he does, I just know that he's kind of a big deal."

"How big of a deal can he be if I don't even know who he is?"

"Touché. Why didn't you have that attitude with the girl?" he asked, nudging my shoulder, and I didn't say anything.

"I actually have heard that he and his girlfriend are like, pretty serious. Think like...Selena and Justin. Or Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis," he said, and I just looked back at this supposed "Jake Dempsey" and his pretty serious girlfriend, now both laughing like they had heard something hilarious.

"Do you know her name?" I asked Connor, and he looked like he was thinking.

"No. But that's nothing a quick Google search can't fix," he said, but I shook my head.

"No, that's just weird and stalker-ish," I quickly said. "And it's okay. Really. I don't even know her," I replied.

"Says the one who looks at her every four seconds," he said, and I smiled. He was right.