White Feminism: Part 2

I made a rant last year about white feminism, but I don't think I really understood the extent to which people are like that until I started my sixth form year and I joined a society which was centred all around feminism. At first I was like 'great, this is going to be such an interesting group to be part of and we're going to discuss all sorts of issues'. But no. I was wrong. So far we have basically just talked about 'white women' issues and it frustrates me because I really want to go and discuss more issues from all across the globe.

I want to talk about how we can end selling young girls as brides, how we can educate more girls across the world, how we can stop Islamic women from being attacked both in developing countries but also in our own, and so on and so forth. I hate these constant discussions that only include one race because it feels pointless. Feminism is only successful if it helps all women AND men gain equality, not just white middle-class women. A few others and myself have decided that we're going to start making changes if things don't move away from white feminism. We want to go to demonstrations, raise money for organisations that help women across the globe, and spread awareness. I'm so sick of people pretending like they're the only victim of sexism.

The privilege I have as a white, middle-class female living in England means that I don't experience the save level of sexism as other women, and recognising that is vital in helping other women whose stories need to be told. And they need to be told now.