Exam Stress: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

In around two months I will be sitting the biggest exams of my life so far, and to say I'm slightly stressed would be an understatement. It's only now that I've found out the best way for me to revise, something I wish that I had been given help with two years ago at the start of this course. Exams can cause huge amounts of stress for teenagers, and I just wish that someone had been there from the start to help me set good habits.

So this is a list of all the things I wish someone had told me about exams.

1) Start revising straight away. Find your course syllabus, and make notes or mindmaps or whatever you do from the start. But that will take up time Ella I hear you moan. It will save you time making notes and stuff like that when your exams are super close. I wish I had done this, my life would be a lot less stressful if I had done this. Realistically, it will only take you 10-20 minutes a day to write notes on what you learnt that day, and that isn't a huge dent in your day.

2) Don't spend all your time making your notes looking pretty. Do past papers! Do questions! Try and teach yourself! Do productive revision!

3) Doing small amounts of revision but frequently is the most effective strategy. Reading your textbook for three hours will not only numb your brain but it isn't productive.

4) Look after yourself! Eat good, drink water, do a little bit of exercise every now and again (I know that sounds crazy but it actually works and that's coming from a couch potato). Don't let exams take over your whole mind, have an escape you can go to sometimes.

5) Listen to what your teachers say. I know this one sounds pretty easy, but I honestly don't listen to 50% of what most of my teachers say which is bad I know. Two months before my exams and I'm only just starting to listen to my teachers.

6) Ask for help. Whether it be from your teacher, friends, family or the Internet. Don't suffer alone, the quicker you ask for help the quicker you learn how to do something.

I'm trying not to stress right now, and I've started revising now which is making me feel less stressed. Maybe this will help someone, I don't know.

Comment rant topics!