Chapter 48

I woke up to the unpleasant sound of hospital apparatus. As I slowly began to open my eyes, I realized that my body was covered in white stickers and blue cables. I was at the hospital again, but this time I didn't know why. When my eyes were fully open, I could feel something touching me. It was Jeffrey resting his head on top of my hand, his hair messy, oily and sticky. He looked tired, almost like someone had sucked all energy out of him, leaving him with a wrinkled shirt and black circles under his chestnut brown eyes.

"Jeffrey" I whispered as I looked down at him, struggling to raise my hand.

"Jeff" I repeated as he didn't seem to wake up as I started running my fingers through his sweaty locks, removing a strand of hair from his face.

Suddenly Jeffrey woke up with a start, looking like he had seen a ghost.

"Emma, Emma, you're awake" He stumbled over his own words, staring me deeply in the eyes; confusion covering his feeble face.

"What happened to me?" I asked, looking at the flowers on the table next to the hospital bed.

Jeffrey gulped hard as his eyes began tearing up, not a single word escaping his now dry mouth.

"You're scaring me,"

Jeffrey grabbed my hand, kissing my palm gently; his tears now dripping down on my sore skin.

"I can't" He sobbed uncontrollably as he struggled to tell me what had happened.

I looked down at myself, feeling a strange soreness in my stomach. I stuck my hand under the blue duvet, touching my now not so pregnant belly.

"No, no," I gulped, quickly removing the duvet.

"Baby, Emma" Jeffrey cried.

"Where is she, where is she!!" I screamed, tears running down my cheeks as I tried to get out of the bed. I was in a state of complete shock, not knowing what to do.

"You have to lay down, Emma" Jeffrey demanded, standing up.

"Is she dead, Jeffrey? Please tell me"

"Tell me, you idiot" I yelled in panic, slamming both of my hands on his chest.

Jeffrey wrapped both of his arms around me, trying to calm me down.

"Breathe, hon" His voice spoke, his hairy cheek now touching mine.

"What happened Jeffrey? Please tell me" I asked again as he began to wipe away my tears.

"Your placenta detached from the wall of your uterus, Emma" Jeffrey replied, biting his upper to hold back his tears

"Your placenta detached from the wall of your uterus, Emma" Jeffrey replied, biting his upper to hold back his tears. "The doctors could barely stop the bleeding".

"Is she... is Olivia dead?" Emma questioned, feeling like she was about to pass out.

"No, our little princess is alive. The doctors got her out in time. They say it's a miracle if she survives. You gave birth at twenty-five weeks. She's strong just like her mother, I know for sure" Jeffrey said maintaining hope, a little smile coming across his face.

"Can I see her?" I asked, looking down at Jeffrey's hand.

"She's so small, so fragile. I'll go find a doctor first.".

"Jeffrey, how many days have I been here?"

"Five days, I have been sleeping next to you every night" He replied, cupping my cheek. "Your parents were here two days ago. Norman and Andy yesterday".

"I'm sorry,"

"It's not your fault, Emma." Jeffrey's calm voice declared.

"Are you sure?"

"I know for a fact, Emma. If it's anyone's fault... it's mine after all." Jeffrey sighed, placing a soft kiss on my lips.

"What makes you say that?"

"I yelled at... I mean, nothing-"

Suddenly a doctor opened the doors into the room, walking rapidly over to hospital bed holding a white folder in his hands.

"Emma Greene?".

//: Hi. What a horrible chapter. I'm sorry that this book has turned into a fusion of short chapters and bad storytelling. I can't describe how bad I feel about it. I just want to make everyone happy. Ahh, sigh. I promise to do better, I'm not giving up on trying to get my motivation back to write this book. ++ Thank you so much for +103k reads and +3k votes. I'm so grateful, but at the same time so shocked, I don't deserve this? I love you all so much. I'm super sorry I have been inactive since the end of November + since I started my last year of College. I'm planning on returning 100% this month. While you wait for me to update Petrichor and Habits of my heart again, I suggest you check out my new book --> Solivigant (Couch Negan fic + post negan fic). I think it's a super awesome book already. I've missed writing and I think about you guys every single day. I love you all. I'm disappointed about this chapter and I feel ashamed for publishing it. Again, sorry. Also, don't hesitate to message me, just do it! I like talking with you guys. Xxx Michelle.