Chapter 9

"Get this through your fucking skull. Next time I see you with that man again you'll regret the day you ever laid eyes on him" Jason hissed and left me on the floor alone. I just sat there shaking full of sorrow and disgust.

I stood to my feet and stumbled down the hall and into my bathroom. I analyzed the purple bruises forming on the side of my face. My eye began to swell profusely. I was beyond frightened. Jason had to be experiencing some sort of psychotic break. 

--

Jeffrey's POV

I parked the car and quickly made my way into the building. On my way home I had bought Emma a bouquet of beautiful pure white roses. 

I entered the elevator and smiled just at the simple thought of her. 

I stepped out of the elevator and into the hallway to see Emma's door wide open. My heart began to beat rapidly in my chest, so heavily I could feel it pounding in my ears like a drum.

"Emma," I called out, stepping into the apartment. 

No answer.

"Emma" I called out again and yet there was still an eerie silence that filled the place.

I quietly made my way down the hall and into her room, turning the corner to find her standing in the bathroom, gripping the sink with her head hung low.

"Baby," I said softly, nerves lacing my voice. 

She slowly lifted her head, making eye contact with me in the mirror. My heart stopped at the sight of her beaten and bruised face.

"Emma!" I yelled and ran over to her, catching her in my grasp. 

I carefully scooped her up into my arms and carried her into the bedroom, gently resting her body on the bed. 

I went back into the bathroom and pulled her first aid supplies out from under the sink. 

"Talk to me baby, what happened?" I asked, my heart aching at her disheveled appearance.

"Thank you" She whispered with a calm voice.

"Please tell me what happened Emma" I begged.

"Jason" Is all she said. 

She just looked at me and closed her eyes, swallowing hard as I hugged her tightly. I just knew it, I knew this was the right time to tell her.

"I love you" I whispered meaningfully into her ear

"What?" She asked surprised, pulling away to look me in the eyes.

"Emma, I love you so much, I really do, " I said sincerely as tears brimmed in her eyes.

"I-I Love you too Jeffrey" She choked out before pressing our lips together, sharing the most passionate kiss either of us had ever experienced, one of pure and genuine love.

I kicked off my shoes, and pulled my sweater over my head, and climbed into the bed. I pulled her into my embrace.

"Sleep now my love, I've gotcha" I whispered, gently pressing her head into my chest, kissing her forehead as she drifted off to sleep. 

Once I knew she was completely asleep, I replaced my presence with a pillow, closing the door with a heavy sigh. I tiptoed out to her balcony.

I lit up a cigarette, as it omitted a soft glow for only a moment. 

I was experiencing so many different emotions, rage for what that bastard did to her, guilt for not being able to be there for her, sadness for not being able to protect her.