Chapter 39

After sleeping almost twelve hours and ten minutes, I woke up in bed alone. As I took my first deep breath, my nose got met by the wonderful scent of pancakes and blueberries. Just the thought of Emma's pancakes could make my mouth water.

I lay down for a couple of minutes, enjoying the pleasant aroma, which filled the whole bedroom - inclusive my nostrils.

I rubbed my eyes a few times before I decided to climb out of bed.

I ran my long fingers through my messy and oily hair. I looked like a mess.

A hot mess.

I couldn't find my glasses on my nightstand or in the drawer, so I decided to look for them in Emma's nightstand instead. Her nightstand was filled to the brim with handkerchiefs, condoms, lotions and magazines. To my surprise, I didn't find my glasses, but a bottle of pills hidden under some of her magazines.

When I looked down at the little note, which was stuck to the bottle, I couldn't help but sigh. It was only two days since the pills were giving by the doctor, so Emma was certainly hiding something from me. But why and what?

After reading the little note, I placed the pill bottle under the magazines, where I found it. I slowly closed the nightstand, securing that all my trails were gone.

As I made my way into the living room, I walked right past Emma. She said good morning, but I didn't want to reply her. I threw myself down on the couch, completely ignoring her presence.

"I made pancakes, your favorite" Emma said, smiling at me.

"I'm not hungry" I replied, turning on the television.

"You seem mad... You okay?" Emma questioned, placing the plate with blueberries and pancakes on the coffee table.

I was disappointed! So disappointed that I had completely lost my appetite.

"Why haven't you picked up Sammy yet?" I asked, looking down at myself.

"Why? My parents really love to take care of him and he enjoys being there. He's a dog and he needs attention" Emma replied, taking seat next to me.

"Why are you acting so strange?" She asked, placing her hand on my chest.

I slowly removed her hand from me and looked her deeply in the eyes.

"Trust is the glue of life. It's the essential ingredient in effective communication. It's the foundational principle that holds all relationships. Think about that, Emma" I said, standing up.

Emma grabbed my hand and looked at me. Confusion covered her face.

"Think about it," I said, letting go of her hand.

I walked back into the bedroom and opened my closet

I walked back into the bedroom and opened my closet. I grabbed an oversized gray hoodie and my favorite ripped jeans. I quickly got dressed, and within minutes I was standing in the hallway ready to leave.