2.88 Protecting Myself

Downstairs.

I heard Mary and Nora come closer.

Me "You wanna go to the ball with me?"

Caroline smiled "sure"

The two Heretics walked past us and Nora yanked the flyer out of my hands.I rolled my eyes. 

Nora" What's this?"

I shrugged "Oh, nothing. It's just some silly "Heaven and Hell" ball. Stefan invited me, but I don't know. These days, Halloween just seems like an excuse to get drunk and show skin..."

Caroline took the flyer back " Sorry. No Heretics allowed. Halloween's only for people who dress up as psychopaths!"

Mary scoffed "As if we'd want to drink cheap beer out of plastic and then brag about it all over the internet."

Nora rolled her eyes "As if you'd even know how to do that. We're going!"

Caroline raised an eyebrow " To a college party?"

I laughed.

Nora asked offended "What's that supposed to mean?"

Caroline " Nothing! No, you two will fit in just fine. Seriously, you guys have nothing to feel self-conscious about."

She and i turned around to leave.

Mary"Did I say you two could leave?"

Caroline and i looked at each other smirking.

We turned around looking annoyed.

Me "What now?"

Caroline's room.

Caroline was outside for something. 

I was sitting on the bed watching Mary Louise in a bright red dress ex aiming herself in the mirror.

Caroline walked inside with a red handbag" I see you found a dress... from my closet."

Me "It was my closet the last time"

Mary Louise turned to us nervous.

She took the handbag from Caroline "I haven't been to a party since New Year's 1902. Be honest-- will I make a proper modern devil?"

Caroline "Shouldn't be too much of a stretch..."

She chuckled as she walked past Mary Louise " ...Unlike the hips of that dress."

I held back a laugh.

Mary "Would you prefer I chose a different one and dyed it with your blood?"

I sighed "Look, I gave you an outfit. Now, it's your turn. Siphon off this annoying anti-vampire spell."

Mary "Aw, are you prohibited from showing physical affection for your significant other? Try being gay in 1900."

I asked irritated "What do you care about some silly spell? You don't even like Valerie."

Mary " You're right. I don't. I've had to endure two lifetimes with that conniving shrew, and I've learned that when it comes to Val? You don't get on her bad side."

Me "But Valerie told me Nora was the most sadistic one"

Mary "That was a lie"

Caroline "wow, Stefan knows how to choose the most sociopaths ones"

I glared at Caroline.

Mary walked downstairs and Caroline and i followed her.

I put my hand on Caroline's arm and she hissed in pain.