2.71 "I Think So"

I put my phone away and grabbed a bottle.

Caroline "Heads, I kill Tyler, and tails, I kill Matt. Deal?"

Stefan nodded " Sounds good to me."

Caroline looked at both boys for a moment before walking over to Tyler and holding her hands out to show him the coin. Before she could uncover it, Tyler angrily shoved her hands out of the way.

Stefan "Oooh! Looks like somebody's angry."

Caroline rolled her eyes "He's a wolf. It's his resting face."

Tyler "And you wonder why everyone hates vampires? Look at you, messing with people for no reason! That's really brave."

He suddenly lost his temper and grabbed a chair before smashing it into pieces against the table. He took a broken piece in his hand and threw a bigger piece in Stefan's direction, which missed him.

Stefan and Caroline giggled in amusement as they walked over to them, but Matt just looked concerned.

Matt " What are you doing?"

Stefan laughed " Are you serious?"

Tyler was now angry "What's wrong, Stefan? Not used to people fighting back?"

Stefan shook his head" No, actually, I'm just not used to people being this stupid."

Caroline giggled and i giggled. I walked to them.

Matt "Alright, Ty, stop. He will kill you."

Then he turned to Stefan " Stefan, he's sorry."

Caroline laughed and walked to Tyler "Haha! See that little vein in his forehead? I used to think it was so sexy, but now I'm pretty sure it's just all the blood leaving his brain."

Tyler snapped "Screw you, Caroline."

He picked up the stake and pointed it threateningly at Caroline,Stefan and me " Come on. Either of you, come at me!"

Matt "Ty, stop!"

Me" Hey, Caroline? Can i eat him? i'm kinda hungry but I know what a jerk he was during your relationship, so if you want..."

Caroline smiled at Ty "I want. Come on, Tyler. I dare you."

Matt "Ty, stop. She will kill you."

Tyler "Get out of here, Matt."

He lunged for Caroline and was about to drive the stake into her abdomen, but Caroline speeded over to Matt, grabbed him, and used him as a human shield, causing Tyler to stab Matt in the stomach with the stake instead.

Tyler looked horrified when he saw Matt groaning and sputtering in pain and pulled out the stake.

Stefan chuckled.

Caroline "Nice going, Tyler!"

Tyler was desperately trying to stabilize Matt's wounds. 

Caroline, Stefan and i watched casually from the sidelines.

Tyler "I'm sorry, Matt. Come one. You can't die on me, man."

Caroline mocked " So, for those of us keeping score, if Matt dies, are you gonna start peeing on fire hydrants again?"

Stefan " Ooh, that's a very good question. I mean, if all that rage made you think that you could take us three, maybe this is Nature's way of reconnecting you with your true self?"

Tyler snapped " Shut up!"

Suddenly Damon walked inside with Lily. Caroline and Tyler looked confused at Lily. When i looked at Stefan he was just stunned.

Caroline "Who's that?"

Stefan "It's my mother."

Damon saw Matt on the ground. 

He took his keys out and threw them to Tyler.

Damon "Come on. Get him out of here. Here, take my car."

Tyler grabbed Matt who groaned in pain" Come here, man."

They walked out.

Stefan scowled at his mother.

Caroline " So... you have a mother?"

Stefan "I had a mom. She died. So, whoever this is is Damon's lame attempt to get my humanity back on."

Caroline growled "Let me guess-- then you get Adi's humanity back on who gets my humanity back on? I don't think so."

She picked up the stake Tyler made out of the furniture earlier and stabbed Stefan in the back with it before she speeded to the door.

Caroline "Sorry, Stefan. But thanks for the head start."

She fled the restaurant, leaving Stefan groaning in pain on the floor while Damon and Lily watched awkwardly.

I took the stake out of his back and Stefan groaned in pain. He got up and looked at his mother.

Lily " I'm sure you have many questions..."

Stefan " Well, the fact that you haven't aged a day answers the big one."

Lily "I'm a Ripper. "

Stefan looked surprised.

Lily " All the guilt you've carried for your lack of control? It's my fault, not yours. You get it from me. That's why I had to leave. I was so new to the bloodlust, I was afraid I would hurt you and your brother. The last time I saw you was the day of my funeral. You weren't imagining it. I was your angel. If only I'd been there to see you grow into a young man, to protect you from your father's temper. But, I was so ashamed of the things that I'd done, of what I'd become, and by the time I got my appetite under control and was coming back for you and your brother, I was hunted down and banished to a prison world by the Gemini. ...Was the hope of seeing my sons again. "

She walked over and placed her hand on his cheek "I know there are no words that make up for me abandoning you, but we have all of eternity for me to try.Your angel has returned to you, and I will never leave you again."

Stefan closed his eyes for a moment. We were all hoping it worked.

He opened them and i could see the old Stefan again. I breathed out relieved.

Stefan said shocked " Mother."

Lily smiled " My sweet, sweet boy."

--

Stefan and i were at the bar. Alone.

Me "you're back"

Stefan "and the fact you are still here means your feelings have been on for a while now"

i nodded "Never turned them off "

Stefan "you were playing us this whole time"

I nodded "yep"

Stefan "that was dangerous"

I nodded "i know"

Stefan "What triggered them?"

Me "I'm my own trigger, Stefan"

Stefan "means, Caroline was wrong"

I nodded.

Stefan "you know that we need to talk"

I nodded "after we get Caroline back, Stefan. Then we can talk"

He nodded "do you know how to find her?"

I nodded"i think i do"