2.86 "We Are Together"

Start from the beginning

Valerie looked at the flowers on Lily's grave "Were these the kind of flowers you were sent for?"

Stefan "Yes. Cream..."

Valerie "Cream violets."

Valerie smiled at him sympathetically once again "That tonic would not have saved her."

Stefan "That's... That's very kind of you, but you cannot be certain."

Valerie "But I am. I worked in a sanatorium, caring for patients who were just like your mother. Cream violets have no medicinal properties. It's an old wives' tale."

She gently brushed a lock of hair off of his forehead.

Valerie "Your father sent you on a fool's errand. You were only ten. He... probably wanted you out of the house to make it easier on himself."

Stefan seemed overwhelmed by this revelation, and Valerie leans forward so their faces are almost touching.

Valerie "No matter what, you couldn't have saved your mother. Her death is not your fault."

She caressed his cheek with her hand, and he reached up to squeeze it gently. It looked as though he's about to kiss her again when a male voice called out from behind them. It's Julian, who looked extremely unhappy.

Julian " Time to say goodbye."

Valerie and Stefan quickly stood to their feet and turned toward him, looking guilty.

Julian "I expected you would visit here sooner or later." 

Stefan " Sir, if you would just let me explain..." 

Julian" We are leaving for New York now. "

Valerie "I did not mean to disobey you--"

Julian" It was not me who you disobeyed. Come with me now, and we will speak no more of it. The carriage awaits."

He turned and left to head for the carriage, and Stefan, looking sad, took Valerie's hand before she could go "When will I see you again?"

Valerie squeezed his hands "I will find my way back to you. I promise."

Flashback end.

I rolled my eyes "Yeah, that story sounds familiar"

Valerie "Julian was in a hurry to get back to Europe. He convinced me to lie to Lily, to tell her that Stefan was happy. Believe me, Julian had a way of convincing anyone to do anything.Eventually, he accepted that he'd been abandoned all over again, and then he walked home under the cold and distant stars."

Me "How could you do that to him?"

Valerie was close to tears as well, and she suddenly shut down "There was a change of plan. I'm done talking to you about this."

She stood up and walked out.

I sighed. 

Night.

I was still reading his journals. I flipped a page and realized pages were missing. They've been ripped out. The last entry was March 1864. A month before Katherine and i got there.

I heard someone walk inside and looked up. Lily.

Lily " Is Valerie here?"

I rolled my eyes "I heard her leave the house. I guess torture makes her hungry."

Lily " Forgive me for prying, but I heard how your mother passed away..."

I rolled my eyes "I just spent the day reliving Stefan's first time. I really don't feel like talking about my dead mother with my hostage taker, but thanks."

Lily " I was simply curious about one's ability to heal after such a loss."

Me "Well, you must have had a mother. "

Lily nodded " Of course I had a mother."

Me"Then you know that love is different than any other kind of love."

I stood up and gave her the journal  " Stefan wrote about you all the time. You can read for yourself."

She took it and started to smile as she read.

Me " He loved you. He missed you."

Lily raised her voice "Nora, remove the barrier spell, please."

She looked over at me and smiled "As of this moment, Miss Petrova is no longer a prisoner."

I looked at her surprised "Is this another trick?"

Lily shook her head "No, it's a reward for Stefan's honesty. Go... before I change my mind."

I gave her a soft smile "thank you"

I vamp speeded out of the house.

At the Grill.

I walked inside and saw Stefan standing in front of the fire. 

I smiled "Hello, handsome"

Stefan turned to me shocked " angel!"

He put a hand on my cheek ready to kiss me but my skin burned him.

Stefan hissed in pain "Ahh"

He sighed disappointed" How did you escape?"

Me "your mother let me go"

Stefan asked stunned " She did?"

I nodded "Yeah... I guess today is just full of Valerie-sized surprises, huh?"

Then I sat down on a chair and picked up a glass of bourbon.

Stefan "Heh... Look, I was just a kid when I met her. Just a troubled boy mourning his dead mom. I was young and human."

I shot back " I was young and human when i met Elijah, Stefan. "

He looked down. 

I sighed shaking my head "I'm sorry, that wasn't fair. You were young and human when you and I met, and I remember the exact moment when I met you."

He sat down next to me on a chair.

Me" do you remember the first time that you ever saw me?"

Stefan nodded "you were so beautiful when you got out of that carriage. I never looked at your sister, i only i had eyes for you"

Me "Valerie's out of the prison world. Does that change things for you?  for us?"

Stefan shook his head " Of course not. Nothing will ever change the way i feel for you"

Me "You don't wonder what would have happened if Valerie would have shown up to meet you? If she had come back for you?"

Stefan shook my head "I don't wonder nor do i care. And you know why? Because i would've never met you if she had come back, angel. All I care about is that you're here, and you're safe. You're with me. We are together. And i love you"

I smiled and touch his cheek. I yanked my  hand away when he hissed in pain.

I smiled a little "sorry"

Stefan "you have no idea how much i wanna kiss you"

I nodded "i can imagine"

Stefan " i love you, Adelaide, only you"