13.) Harry

We were all relieved when we found out that the professor was back. No matter how much I disliked and distrusted him, I was happy that he was okay. When we walked into his classroom, however, it was obvious that he wasn't. His eyes were rimmed red from crying, and wore a depressed, broken look on his face. It was even more obvious that he really wasn't into it when he started talking- his voice was raw from sobbing. At the end of the class, Hermione, Ron and I walked up to him.

"Hey, are you okay? What happened?" Hermione asked gently.

"It's nothing." The professor wispered, turning away. "I'm fine." He lied. Hermione put her hand on his shoulder.

"What happened? Maybe we can help." She said.

"I doubt you can." He said, still facing away. "You guys should go. I don't want anything to happen to you." Hermione looked at us, confused.

"What do you mean? Nothing is going to happen to us." I said.

"Just go." His voice cracked. Hermione motioned for us to leave.

"What do you think he was talking about?" I asked as we walked into the Great Hall for dinner that night.

"I don't know, but I think it's none of our business, and we should probably leave him alone for a while." Hermione said. "My guess is that someone died." We watched the professor up at the front table. He was poking at his food, but not eating anything. He didn't look like he had been crying anymore, but his face still held the depressed expression from earlier in the day.

"Probably that little crab." Ron said, his mouth full of food. "Even I could tell that what he did for it wasn't quality first aid." Hermione didn't look convinced.

"I think all of us knew that, Ron. But I think that's too... Minor. Something big must have happened."

"He did tell us he would kill us if we even accidentally harmed his crab again, Hermione." I pointed out. She thought for a moment.

"Yes, he did tell us that... But I doubt he would harm any of his students."

"He took part of my memory!"

"And slammed us against a wall!" Ron added.

"First of all, Harry, you have absolutely no proof. Second of all, Ron, you broke into his room and looked through his things! Honestly, what did you expect?"

"I expected that we wouldn't get caught! Really, Hermione, what else? We wouldn't just march in if we thought we would be.

"Well, I think you two need to-" Hermione was interrupted by the doors slamming shut behind someone. It was a group of what looked like cheerleaders.

"Perseus Jackson." One of them hissed.

"We have come to-"

"Yes, yes, I know. You have come to 'destroy' or 'kill' me. How did that work out for you the last couple times?" He responded, cutting one of them off.

"We would have, exept that girl Annabeth was there. Where is she now? Dead? What a shame. It seems like everyone you get close to dies." The professor looked furious, and pulled something out of his pocket. He stood, and walked in front of the front table. I assumed it was his wand. The other professors started to realize that the five cheerleaders were dangerous, and drew theirs.

"Those won't do anything to them." The professor pointed to the cheerleaders. "They're immune to magic." Kelly grinned. Suddenly, her hair turned into fire. One of her legs turned into a goat leg, and the other into a robotic one. She grew fangs, and lunged at Percy. The thing in his hand turned into a three-foot long sword, and he slashed at her. She dodged. The rest formed a circle around the professor. Eventually, she made a mistake, and he sliced her in half. She crumbled into a golden dust. Then, the other four lunged, and he easily sliced them into pieces. Everyone started cheering.

After dinner, Ron was talking about what had happened. "It was so cool! I've never seen a group of crazy cheerleaders with knives before!" Knives? They didn't have knives. They had sharp teeth and claws. "And I can't believe he held them off with a steak knife!" Steak knife? What was he talking about? He had a sword... Eventually, we got separated in the crowd, and I leaned against the wall. The halls cleared out, and I thought about what Ron had seen. Was I going crazy?

"You're not crazy." Luna said. She walked down the hallway, and stood next to me. "It's called the Mist." I stared at her, confused. "It hides some beasts and objects from muggles, and most wizards. They see something else, something different. Something they can understand. I can see through it, too."

"The professor can, too?" I guessed.

"Yes. The things that hunt his kind are one of the reasons it exists."

"What do you mean, 'his kind'? We're those things in the Great Hall some of the hunters?"

"I think, if you went back to look at what you have already found in the library, that you would realize that you already had the answers to your questions. You just chose to call them myths." She responded. "Oh, and to get answers to your questions, sometimes all you have to do is ask." With that, she walked down the hall. I watched her leave. After she turned the corner out of my sight, I walked back to the common room. I went to bed immediately, not bothering to change out of my robes. I quickly fell asleep.