Re: New heights of creepiness

From: novela-harmon@bethel.edu
Date: Fri, Nov 2, 2017 at 8:00 PM
Subject: New heights of creepiness
To: grace-k-nelson@bethel.edu

We went to see the pyramids today. Yes, Mexico has pyramids. They aren't as visually impressive as the Egyptian pyramids, which is probably why they're less famous. But they have their own charm, and mystery.

We went to the ancient city of Teotihuacán, outside of Mexico City. At one point it was the largest city in the Americas. The Aztecs believed this was the site of creation, although it's unclear who (what people group) founded it. The history that exists is partly based on murals, of which there were a lot, and some of which have survived to this day. There are also hieroglyphs. Learning such intricate history from so close - relatively - to the US, it amazes me that this is not better known.

Anyway, to the creepy part. Human sacrifice (ah yes, this is the part we've heard about) was practiced here. I always found concept indescribably disturbing, whether in a history book or an Indiana Jones movie. But being in a place where it was regularly and ritualistically practiced introduces a new level of heebie jeebies. Even my Stephen King-loving, all-religions-are-equal espousing comrades were pretty subdued. We all seemed to be wondering, in our own ways of thinking, whether something like that leaves some kind of negative energy, even after this long.

None of us denies that the rumors of haunting and things like that seem to be much higher here than in the US. I don't know whether it's possible to discern the cause, but I do wonder if this might have something to do with it. Obviously human sacrifice is not endemic to Latin America, but I'm not aware that it was practiced much by the Sioux or Ojibwe or anyone else that inhabited the part of the world I'm from.

There are pyramids here to specific deities, and they don't soften the blow. The most important was apparently the "Great Goddess," also known as "The Spider Woman." (I can't believe Marvel Comics isn't all over that!) Oh, and fangs (!). Although this seemed to be the most important deity, it seemed to sort of die down after the city's heyday.

Although, as it turns out, resemblance can be seen in - wait for it - the Virgin of Guadalupe. So yes, ladies and gentlemen, the creepy spider goddess of the human-sacrificing people of Teotihuacán continues to live on disguised as devout Catholicism. Ok, this is not the view taken by everyone, but it is disturbing enough regardless. Now I am thinking back on the Romería a little differently and understanding a bit more of Javier's reluctance.

Again, and not that I'm an expert on the culture of the historical Native American groups from the Midwest, but I sense a big difference in focus. The only deity I'm slightly familiar with is the Great Spirit, and while it/he isn't necessarily based on the Bible, it seemed like there was a certain benevolence attributed. I never had much of an opinion, negative or positive, of the dancing rituals, but now they seem very positive compared to, say, human sacrifice.

A lot of native religions seemed to be sort of fear-based, and I guess pretty much every religion contains the concept of pleasing the sovereign. But it seems like some are more please-help-us-because-we-need-it-and-you're-stronger (Greek/Roman?), and others are more of the please-don't-kill-us-all-because-you're-evil.

And yet, for a time at least these human sacrificers had some of the greatest civilizations of the ancient world. The Plains Indians didn't; they practically starved to death every winter. Granted, geography and a few other factors came into play. Maybe it was just coincidence.

But - I'm probably spiraling here so feel free to delete this email and forget it - what if it wasn't? What if the precursing civilization to modern Mexico, the religion still extant in Catholic guise, is based on something real, and evil? Would that have anything to do with the rampant levels of corruption and crime that continues to this day? (Yes, spiraling. But it would at least make for an interesting novel.)

OK, I need to figure out what I'm doing because some people are going out and I'm semi-invited so I need to make a decision pretty soon. I'm not too keen, but there's not much else today, and how am I going to go to sleep now?

Love, Novela