3.7-Time Heals All Wounds(Finale)

Yugyeom's POV

"Choi Jun-hung also known as 'Zelo' was an unfortunate soul who fell for the trap of an older, manipulative relative. Together, we remember who he was and how, deep down inside, he was a happy and kind person. He will hopefully be forgiven for his sins and crimes and remain content for wherever he may be now," The monk and I remained in a prayerful silence, both of our heads were bowed.

I genuinely think that Zelo was a good guy- he just had lost his way. No one turned up for today's service except from me. I heard his family couldn't face reality.

***

"May his soul ascend from his body. Amen,"

The soggy grass stuck onto my shoes just as I peeled my eyes open. It was muddy from last night's thunderstorm. Looking back up, the monk nodded at me as he held the slategrey urn. Gently removing the cap as his other arm cradled the urn, the monk scattered the ashes into the river.

I watched the dark pigmented ashes flow into the river. The water began to consume it and eventually it vanished.

The undisturbed sound of the water gushing filled the void of meaningful silence.

"Shall we continue?" A raspy voice croaked out.

"We should," My palpitating heart sounded so loud that I was almost second guessing if the Monk could hear it. I know he can't but I suppose he knows how timorous I am.

Steadfastly, the monk retrieved the next urn. Much smaller in size and much more darker in colour, was Yongguk's urn.

Words couldn't describe what exactly went through my mind. But, the last time we were together...the last time I saw him breathing- he had a gun pointed to my face.

I'll never forget that.

In fact, I'll never forget everything that he's done or ever said.

"Would you like to lead the eulogy? You seem quite troubled, I don't blame you- you might need this," The Monk's tone was laced with seriousness yet hints of concern were embedded.

Firstly, I cleared my throat. "Yes please," The Monk handed me the urn. It was light. It almost felt empty.

"Yongguk, you meant a lot to me when I was a teenager going through my own up's and down's. I saw you as someone I needed back then. But- I don't need you now. You did bad things to me, to my friends and most importantly to my love. I'm not a firm believer in the after life or in the idea that the soul goes beyond the body but I'm sure that where ever you go and if you go, that is- you'll be able to let go...let go of me. It's strange to think you're no longer here, it's even more stranger to think that you're in this urn and I'm holding onto it. But, I'm letting go of this urn... of the past...of you. Time heals all wounds Yongguk,  and I'm healing- I'm doing okay..." Slipping the lid off the urn, I poured his ashes into the river.

A heavy atmosphere filled the air as the ashes fell. Staring at the dark pigments, I waited for it to vanish from my sight- to vanish from my world.

***

Gently shaking the urn, I made sure all of the ashes had been discarded into the river before crouching down. Small water drops splashed against my suit as I swooped my hand down at the grass and pulled a flower out.

Vivid mustard petals contasted against the bold green of the stem. The striking colour reflected against the dimly lit sun. A small flower, with little thought to many, had such a significant negative connotation to me.

Gripping onto it only by two fingers, I dangled it above the river:

"Yongguk, I'm not your buttercup anymore,"

Monitoring the flower as it fell, it soon was buried by the ferocious waves of the river and was soon to be forgotten.

***

"Thank you," I bowed to the Monk.

He replied."You're welcome," Turning on my heel to leave, I looked ahead proudly- I can now be free.

Sauntering down the alleyway I took a sharp left turn, and to my suprise, an unexpected guest welcomed me.

"Bambam?" I stopped in my tracks. "How did you know I wa-"

"-I just had a gut feeling I suppose," He admitted as he looked me in the eye. "Are you okay?"

"I am now,"

"You sure?" He asked.

"Very sure," I retorted back.

"Okay..." Spontaneously, he stuck his arm out. "It's a new chapter,"

Meeting in the middle, I joined his hand with mine. "And I'm very glad I've got you with me in it,"

---------