[24]

Song: Keeping Secrets by Tyler Ward

-------

"Son of a bi... Dammit!" I muttered harshly when I spilled milk on the counter top. I quickly looked for a kitchen towel to wipe it off. I wiped the milk off of the counter while muttering curses.

After cleaning my mess, I put the towel away and drank my milk. Putting down the glass without much subtleness, it made a loud thumping noise. Closing my eyes, I cursed under my breath and cursed myself for not being able to fall asleep for the nth time. I still can't believe it. I hadn't counted on it. But who could blame me? Well, I actually blame myself but... Ugh! I seriously want help but for now I just need to keep it to myself.

"Hey, why are you still up?"

My heart nearly stopped in surprise when Baekhyun spoke. I turned to glare at him. He smiled and uttered a sorry. He walked past me and opened the refrigerator. "Can't sleep?" He asked glancing at my empty glass and then at me. I nodded and ran a hand through my hair.

While drinking, he gazed at me and took in my appearance. Setting down the glass, he looked at my exposed chest as I was only wearing boxers. "And why are you in only your boxer?"

I looked down at my boxers that I'm wearing. It was soft and comfy and ended mid thigh. I shrugged and said "I've been sleeping like this for a while now. I don't know why but lately I'm finding my pajamas a little tacky and sleeping like this is a hundred times more comfortable."

"So why can't you sleep?" He asked, yawning as he spoke. Not wanting to tell him the truth, I lied. "Just another bad case of insomnia." The truth is, something is bothering me and the answer to the question that I've arrived to isn't really all that good.

I stared at him and a question popped in my mind. "Hey, Baek. Why did you decide to finish your school year here? You were supposed to come back after two months but you wanted to stay, why is that? Is it because of Chanyeol? Do you like him? Or better yet, do you already love him?" I asked in one breath.

My question seemed to surprise him since he got stunned and took several seconds to recover. He shifted uncomfortably and pulled a fake smile. "I wanted to spend more time with you and your life is too amusing for me to miss. And, no, I didn't stay because of Chanyeol. As for Chanyeol, we're just close friends."

"Very close friends." I muttered low enough so he wouldn't hear. I know he's lying. I don't know which part but he is definitely lying about something. I leaned forward on the counter top and massaged my temples out of tiredness. "Why? Do you like someone?" He asked out of the blue.

Completely caught off guard, I looked at him. I opened my mouth to answer but no words came out. Obviously thrilled by the turn of events he squealed lightly. "No fuckin' way! You've seriously fallen for one of them haven't you?" My brows shot up at his sudden outburst. Noticing what just happened; he smiled sheepishly and said "Sorry, I do that when I'm surprised."

I chuckled at the sudden discovery. He's so cute when he does that! I bet Chanyeol would've given everything just to see that. "Hey, don't laugh! I can't help it." He said crossing his arms and matching it with a pout. "But seriously though, that was the first time I've heard you drop the f word ever since you stopped rebelling towards your mom." he rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. That still doesn't stop you from answering my question."

"What question?" I asked, raising a brow. He rolled his eyes. "I said you have fallen for one of them haven't you? Well, who is it? Is it Xiumin?"

"Uhm... Well, I..."

"You like him don't you?" he grinned. "I don't." I said monotonously. He narrowed his eyes at me and clucked his tongue. "That's a bluff, you're bluffing."

I shook my head. "No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"I'm not."

"Yeah, you are! The only time you argue with me is when you're lying." he said nudging a finger at my shoulder. I shook my head. "That's not true."

"Yeah, it is." he countered. Frustrated, I sighed and ruffled my hair. "We're not going through that again." Pouting, he said "Just admit it, you like him. Or maybe, you like Sehun!" he smirked at me.

"Hell to the no!" I said, crossing my arms across my chest.

He arched at brow at me, a sly smile still lingered on his lips. "Oh really? Then why are you so defensive?" I scoffed. "As if." He leaned forward. "Then you do like Xiumin." I pushed him away and started walking out of the kitchen. "The answer is still no."

"So you hate him?" I turned to look at him in disbelief. "No! I don't hate him." he knitted his brows together. "Then you like him?" he asked. "Of course I do."

"See, you just need to be push to get the truth out of you." he smiled to himself. "What?" he tilted his head and asked "You still don't know what you just said, do you?" I stopped and think for a minute. Did I say something wrong? Holy crap, I just said...

"Wait, that's- You're taking this the wrong way! I don't-" My words staggered. I didn't mean to say that. He smiled to himself, satisfied with what he just did and started walking away. Being conned wasn't really affecting my pride that good. I grabbed his hand and spun him around. I looked at him intensely, making him squirm under my scowl. "Baek, listen to me. I don't l-like any one of them. And I probably wouldn't."

He raised a brow at me. "Then why did you stutter at the word 'like'?" I shrugged and said "I-I'm not comfortable with that word. I hate it." I mentally cursed myself for stuttering again. He nodded and started going up the stairs.

I stood there and called myself things that would kick me out of the school if I ever said it there. I didn't really want to lie to her but I had no choice. I want to tell them so badly. But I can't tell them. Not yet. For now it's my secret to keep.

The next day I tried so hard to distance myself from them. I just want to be alone so I can think. I don't want to get torn between telling them and keeping it a secret. It's just too much.

As usual, I tried to find a secluded place in the school. When I didn't find any I started going to the gym. It should be clear off students right now since it was recess. When I got there I opened the door slowly and looked if anybody was there. There wasn't. I went inside and sat at the bleachers.

I looked down on my phone. I typed down a very important message yesterday and saved it in my notes. It was long. Somehow, when I wrote it, I felt like I was giving myself a lecture. It felt as though it was someone else who wrote it. I read it almost a hundred times last night, trying to convince myself that this is normal. It is normal but still it bothered me.

My phone rang and I answered. "Hello?" a soft and cheerful voice spoke at the other end. "Luhan, meet me at the mall after your classes and don't forget to bring Baek." she ordered. Before I could even speak she hung up.

I stared at my phone for a while why would my mom want to meet me after school? And at the mall? Then realization hit me. I groaned internally.

They're going to go shopping.