Chapter 30. || "Ups and downs."

Начните с самого начала

—Thank you for being with us.

That said, she kissed my cheek , wished me good night and went upstairs.

I, for my part, went into the guest room, where I opened my backpack on the bed and got out some clothes so I could change the ones I had. I went into the bathroom, I changed and brushed my teeth. I lay on the bed and closed my eyes. I wondered if Ashley was already asleep. I checked the time. 9:38 pm. Maybe not, but I wouldn't go up, because it seemed inappropriate.

And suddenly, when sleep was bursting against my coast, I felt like someone opened the door and I smiled, because I knew who it was.

—I cann't sleep. —Ashley said, and I could barely see through the darkness, her silhouette a white spot surrounded by blackness.

—Come here. —I pulled up the duvet from the spot beside me so she could get in. 

She walked to the bed and lay down beside me, stroking my skin. I searched her face with my hand, and when I found it, I noticed that it was wet with tears.

—Come on Ash, everything will be fine. —I whispered against her face.

—You think so? —She whispered back very close to me with a broken voice.

I said nothing for a moment and just looked into her eyes, the only part I could see her face clearly, as they were illuminated by the small amount of light from that rainy night. I took her face in my hands.

—You and I, and everyone else, we'll move on and see that everything will go away. The wounds will mend and blows will heal. Remember that I think that life is about balance: when something bad happens, something good will happen to cancel out the bad, and there is no exception. —I paused and took a breath—. And I know it's hard, but I promise you'll be fine. I will do everything possible for it to be that way. —I ran my thumb across her cheek and wiped her face.

—Do you promise?

I pressed my forehead against hers. —I promise you, Ashley.

She put a hand on top of mine , and just stayed like that, breathing against me, looking into my eyes as the minutes passed. I had always felt so safe that way, and seeing how much she did that thing, I guessed she shared the same feeling.

—I love you.

—Me too. —I answered before she kissed me, the cold and salty thing from the tears mixing with her sweet and hot lips.

I was so lucky.

I watched as she intertwined our hands, the rings that used to belong to her parents capturing the light that came from outside, the sound of raindrops hitting against the window slowly putting us to sleep. 

—Something bad will happen if they see you here with me, you know. —I whispered. 

She laughed low. —I don't think so, and it doesn't matter. I think they expect it. 

I laughed. —I hope you defend me.

—This was my idea, so yeah.

After that we talked a lot and I guess there came a point where sleep corrupted us both, and when I woke up the next morning, Ashley was no longer beside me.

I smiled and rubbed my eyes. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom. Then I went out to the kitchen, where James was already awake, like Clarissa.

—Good morning. —I said.

Both greeted me back and I started to read the expressions on their faces. Clarissa still looked tired, but not as much as before. James looked a lot better, you could say that nothing had happened, but his eyes didn't say as much as before.