56~ Where You Belong

*Maddie's P.O.V*

I stood at the stern with ELizabeth, watching as the sun began its descent in the sky, even though it was still early in the afternoon, and the closest island of civilization we'd chosen for Elizabeth's departure was in the distance. However, it was too close for us to sail all the way in, so Elizabeth would be going there in a longboat. Half of me wants to join her, but Elizabeth has assured me that I don't have to, for the crew of the Black Pearl had elsewhere they had - or wanted - to be, and I didn't really want to be left behind.

We didn't say a word, i just held Elizabeth's hand in mine and enjoyed what could be the last of her company for a long time. I know, I could go ashore with her, but after so long on the open water with only the railing of a ship to stop me, I feel like I would fit into that kind of environment anymore. At least, not for a while anyway.

The Dutchman was still sailing close by, but like us, they dropped the anchor so that Will could go ashore and say a proper goodbye to Elizabeth - his last day on land for the next 10 years. I admit, I am proud of the man Will had become. Gone are the days of our innocence and naivety to the horrors of the world outside of the blacksmith's shed, now we're living them without fear and without the slightest bit of hesitation to charge forward with weapon in hand. And that is the way I like it, living spontaneously yet still in control of your own action and your own life. The only thing you can't rely on is where the wind takes you, but sometimes that is the best part about it.

Elizabeth cleared her throat quietly, and it looked like she wanted to say something. I felt the same, but right at that moment a lump chose to form in the back of my throat, so I squeezed her hand gently and lowered my head before walking down to the deck where some of the crew were organizing a longboat for Elizabeth. I went over to far rail, which put me closest to the Dutchman, and there I saw Will.

I smiled, and he smiled back, and I realized that this was probably a goodbye for us as well, not just for him and Elizabeth. "You survived," he called over to me.

I smirked. "Yeah, as did you." There was a brief silence. "I never would've thought you, of all people, would be the one to stab the heart."

Will puffed out his cheeks as he exhaled and leant his elbows on the railing. "I didn't exactly have a say in it, but I'm happy how things turned out."

"Me too. I don't know if I could deal with Elizabeth's grief as well as my own."

"Not unless you wanted to face Jones alone."

"If it meant getting back at him for killing you, I would do it in a heartbeat."

He chuckled. "Here we go again with one of your ideas that ends up with you in trouble."

"To which one in the past are you referring to?" I asked.

"How about the day you and I broke Jack free from a hanging?"

I laughed, remembering the thrill yet stress of that day. "Oh yeah... I see your point now, when you put it like that."

Will chuckled again. "Who knows, Maddie? I might have to save you from a few sticky spots!"

I Shrugged. "Maybe, but I'm not staying at sea forever, Will."

He frowned. "What? But I thought you belonged on the sea."

"I do. But I've also got a life to live onshore, one I cannot live out here. I owe that much to my parents, especially because my father died at the hand of the man who pushed us towards this situation in the first place."

He sighed quietly, nodding his head slowly. "When do you leave?"

I sighed as well and looked at the horizon. "Soon. Not immediately. I might have tie for one more adventure before I leave for good."