10~ I Accept

A/N: This is what I imagined Maddie's sword to be like.

*Maddie's P.O.V*

I've lost track of how much time has passed since Barbossa marooned Jack and Elizabeth on that island. Barbossa had unlocked the cabin doors a while ago, but I didn't bother going out. There is no one onboard I particularly want to talk to, except for Will, but he is in the brig with the crew from the Interceptor. I am still sitting in the window sill, ignoring anyone that came in. But towards early afternoon, one voice made me look up for the first time in hours.

"I know yer mad at me, and ye had ev'ry right to. But I was merely following the terms of yer friend, Turner. As for Jack... I had no use for him, he's an enemy."

"But still..." I sniffled, looking at him with tear stained cheeks. "You didn't even let me say goodbye. I don't know if I'll ever see her again." I sighed and wiped my eyes, cursing under my breath. Dammit, he is seeing me in my most vulnerable state.

Barbossa walked over and sat opposite me on the window sill. "What do you find so fascinating about staring out the window, anyways? It's just water for miles."

I gave a small smile and the usual twinkle returned to my eyes for a moment. "I've been staring out the window for most of my life, dreaming of sailing the seas. Now that I am, I cannot seem to take it all in."

He chuckled lightly. "Aye, ev'ry pirate feels like that in his first days on a shi[. But after a while... the novelty of it wears off."

I shook my head. "Not for me. There will always be something to fascinate me about the ocean, no matter how many times I sail to every corner."

I resumed my silence for a while. In the time I have been ignoring everyone on board, I've been pondering over Barbossa's offer. The cons outweigh the pros, but what choice do I have? My sister I probably won't see in... who knows how long, I might not get this opportunity again, and it's my dream. Sighing, I looked up at the pirate Captain. "Captain Barbossa, I accept your offer."

He seemed a bit startled and momentarily confused until his mind clicked on what I was talking about. He gave me one of the first genuine smiles I had seen from him, and it was my turn to be startled. "How 'ld are you?" he asked suddenly.

I raised my eyebrow. "I'm 19, nearly 20. Why do you ask?"

He seemed rather amused. "You and Grapple aren't that far part. He's 21."

"And how long has he been 21?" I asked with a smirk.

"About 10 years."

I couldn't help laughing, but I also couldn't help but think, He's been the same age for 10 years? Crikey...

"Are you positively sure you want to do this, Maddie?" he asked quietly, interrupting my thoughts. "I know you've got the skill and will to be one of us, but think about what you're throwing away first. The rest of us, we didn't have a choice. For us it was either join or die. Whereas you... you've got a family and a home waitin' for ya." With his thumb he jerked my chin up to look at him. "Don't throw all that away just to end up getting a price on yer forehead."

I looked him in the eye, and again was surprised by the look of genuine concern in the blue depths. "My sister I might not see again, my Father basically disowned me, and there is no one back home for me."

"What about that stable boy Turner mentioned? Jeffrey, did he say his name was?"

I stiffened. I had hoped no one would hear about him. "He is... an old friend... who I might have developed feelings for. But he probably thinks I'm dead. After all, he did see Grapple dragging me off to your ship back in Port Royal."