38~ The Call

*Maddie's P.O.V*

Night fell, and I can't remember wishing it to be daylight more than I do now. The soldiers are still marching through, and more than once they've come close to searching through our hiding spot, so we've been forced to pack up the few things we have with us and move to hide on the rooftop of a shack overlooking the entire city.

Grapple was absently carving something with my knife, and I was lying on my back with my head propped up, gazing up at the stars. I've found myself doing that more and more lately, but it is soothing to me.

"Maddie?"

I turned my head and saw Grapple crouching by the edge of the roof. Curious, i crawled over to him and followed where he was pointing. Someone was rowing through the canal in a small boat, their face masked by the large conical hat they wore. In the silence of the harbor, we heard quiet singing.

"Some men have died and some are alive, and others sail on the sea. With the keys to the cage and the Devil to pay..."

M eyes widened. "... We lay to Fiddler's Green."

Grapple glanced at me. "You know that song?"

I nodded. "A traditional pirate song. There are few who don't know it, don't look so surprised that I do."

"So who was singing that?"

I squinted and just then the person raised their head slightly. "Elizabeth..."

Dampening the fire and quickly gathering our stuff - mainly just the carton, our swords and various other small weapons we've picked up in our few days here - we ran as quietly we could along the rooftops, keeping Elizabeth within sight with her singing reaching our ears.

*Elizabeth's P.O.V*

I admit, I am rather nervous about rowing through the dimly lit harbour, but what choice do I have? I need to stick to the plan.

Some men have died

and some are alive

and others sail on the sea

With the keys to the cage

and the Devil to pay

We lay to Fiddler's Green

I thought for a moment I heard someone else singing along, but thought nothing of it and kept rowing, slowly gaining more confidence. I am no longer the Governor's daughter from Port Royal.

The bell has been raised

from it's watery grave

Hear its sepulchral tone

With a call to all

pay heed the squall --

I fell silent as I saw soldiers crossing the bridge, with Mr. Mercer at the front. A few sparklers went off once they'd past, and swallowing nervously I continued, seeing the dock ahead.

Turn your sails to home

Yo ho, haul together

I docked the boat and got out, looking around nervously.

Hoist the colours high

Heave ho

Thief --

"Thief and beggar!" Someone cut over me. "Never shall we die!"

Three men, all armed with some kind of weapon, approached me from the shadows of the dock. I stopped where I was and faced them, trying to appear non threatening.