4~ 'ello Poppet

The next time I opened my eyes I heard a commotion downstairs. I could hear my father's commanding voice followed by the protests of my sister.

"Honestly, Father. I'm fine!"

"Don't be ridiculous. Estrella! Run a bath and put out a new gown."

Footsteps stormed past my door but I didn't move. I should be able to pick up on the conversation soon enough. Not long after, Elizabeth walked in. Her hair was in its usual neat state and she was wearing a beige coloured gown. I smiled as she entered. "Very fancy."

"Oh, be quiet," she smirked. She sighed and joined me, rubbing her eyes.

I leant closer to her. "So... did the Commodore propose?"

She looked momentarily surprised and then it was gone when she blinked. "Yes, but I kind of fainted. The corset was too tight and I couldn't breathe."

As horrible as it sounded I had to stop myself from laughing. "I was going to ask, did you faint from surprise or something else?"

"A man saved me from drowning. But Commodore locked him in the dungeons."

"How come? For putting his hands all over you?"

She shoved me gently. "I'm serious! Maddie, he was a pirate, known as Jack Sparrow."

Our Father walked in, interrupting our conversation. He nodded at Elizabeth then turned to me. "I'm surprised you're still here, after that threat you made earlier."

I didn't say anything, but from the corner of my eye I saw Elizabeth looking back and forth between us in confusion. "Is there something you aren't telling me?" she asked.

"No," we both said in unison far too quickly. Elizabeth isn't stupid; she knows there is more than we are letting on. But she left it at that. "I take it you heard about you sister's day, did you Maddie?" Our father asked.

I nodded. "Yes, she was just finishing telling me now."

"So then you realise now why I am wanting you to give up this pirating nonsense? After your sister was threatened by one?"

I frowned and turned to look at my sister. "I don't believe she got that far in telling me..."

"Either way, you will give this all up now? You've had you're chance to be like one, and now I expect you to follow in the footsteps of your mother." Before he shut the door he looked sternly at us. "Both of you."

That left us surprised. "But Lizzie, you are already following in Mother's footsteps. I would've thought his last comment was directed at me."

"I stood up for Jack Sparrow after he saved me. Commodore wanted to shoot him. Father disapproved, whether he saved me or not."

I sighed and looked out the window again. How much longer before I would go crazy in this place?

*

That evening Father went out for a walk on the docks with Commodore Norrington. Elizabeth was being tended to by Estrella and the other servants were occupied with other things. So I took this opportunity to slip out the window and head to the stable yard. Jeffrey was there, and he seemed surprised to see me.

"You escaped!" he joked, "Took you long enough."

I whacked him playfully on the shoulder as I stood beside him. "I was tired." "I've got one of the mares saddled up, I was going to take her for an evening spin. Would you like to join me?"

My eyes lit up and I smiled. "Just stay away from the docks. My Father is there with the Commodore."

Jeffrey pulled a face. "As if I want to run into your father and that pompous goat."