"Umm—? How about William Ryder? He's pretty nice?" Maddie shrugs.

"William Ryder only cares about his reputation though. He tries to speak nice to all the staff and teachers and ends up on their 'Golden Student' list. It's almost annoying once and awhile. Trust me, I had him for a Photography project and he didn't even let me do any of it because he was scared I was taking a picture at the wrong angle."

Madeline nods, agreeing with her friend, right as she sees someone look at her at the corner of her eye. She looks over in the narrow classroom window by the door and sees Peter doing a small wave as her. She tries to hide a huge smile and shes about to wave back; but Betty says something to bring her to her attention.

"I mean, take your brother for example,"
Madeline's head turns sharply to Betty as she continues on, "Harry was such a cool person and cared about everybody he met."
The butterflies in her stomach reappear, now worse than ever.

"He was such a charmer, he had perfect grades and a perfect reputation with everyone,"
The sweat starts to broil in her forehead again, but she tries to hide her twitching every time Betty spoke about him.

"But then he got an invitation to some private school in Uptown New York who needed him more than us. And he agreed to it! I still cant believe the nerve of him." The pit now grows larger and Maddie swallows, looking around to hide her nervous expression.

"Yeah, yeah—h-how dare he." She tries to laugh along with her words but she ends up clearing her throat due to the scratchiness.

"Oh..damn it Madeline, I'm so sorry. You must miss him.."

She clearly tries to comfort her friend and so Maddie takes it upon herself to try to crack a smile,
"I-I do. Everyday, I do." The tears start to form in her eyes but she blinks rapidly while looking at her feet.

"Do you at least talk to him over the phone? I know that private schools still have wifi."

Talk to him..I'm going to talk to him today after 6 months of quarantine. He won't remember me, he probably doesn't even remember his own middle name.

"S-sometimes..yeah. He's not really around much—you know..'cause of his studies.."
"Mm, that sucks. Well hey, I suggest to try to talk to him again if you feel like you guys are drifting apart. It might make you feel better." Betty steps in and rubs her best friends' shoulder and gives her a hug. The heeled boots she's wearing make her taller than Madeline by at least two inches.

Maddie's heart pummels as she tries to hugs her friend back without letting her know she's shaking.
"You'll be okay. I promise you that."

But..how can you say that if you don't know the real reason he's gone?
How can I live with this lie?

"Thanks Betty.."

The blonde steps out the hug and gives her her best reassuring smile. The bell for class suddenly rings and Betty looks at a nearby clock.

"Great, I have to go, Mr Yates hates it whenever I'm late. I'll see you at lunch?" She starts to walk down the hall waiting for a reply so Madeline nods her head with a quick smile.

Eventually, she disappears in the hustling crowd and some people start to file into her class.

As students walk past her, Madeline grips the sides of her arms.

She didn't think she'd get the chills even with a denim jacket on but she does, and she leans on the locker behind her. The aching feeling you get whenever it feels like someone punched you in the stomach sets deep in her gut. She feels the need to breakdown and just cry, but she mustn't or people would question her.

A girl and her friend stare at Maddie from across the hallway, probably gossiping about how unsteady and ill she looks. The daughter of Norman Osborn, one of the brightest scientific minds of this century, ill?
This isn't like her, she's never been this nervous in her life. Not before presentations, not before finals, not ever.

After a few deep breathes, she finally decides to head into class and try to get through it without throwing up.

"Hey—?" Peter greets. She eyes the seat next to him and tries her best to smile at him. It doesn't work. She feels his presence staring at her but she cant find the strength to look him in the eye to talk.

The teacher begins the day with taking attendance. Peter takes the opportunity to try to converse with Madeline.

"Are you okay?"
No...

"Y-yeah, I'm fine–why?"
I'm not fine...

"You look like you've seen a ghost or something." Peter playfully whispers under his breath, trying to lighten the mood.
"No..I'm just--"

"--Madeline Osborn?" The fifteen year old snaps her attention to the front of the room,
"Uh–here!"
I wish I wasn't though.
I wish a lot of things right now.
I wish that Harry wouldn't be sick, I wish I didn't have to see him like he is, I wish he still has feelings.

And I'm scared that he won't feel the same sibling love for me as I do for him.

"I'm okay, really." She ends up catching her gaze in his brown doe eyes. Immediately, she feels pain for not telling him the truth.
She's definitely not okay, she just wants this school day to end so that she can talk to Harry.

"Well–whenever your not okay–you can um..talk to me? Or you know, y-you don't have to if you don't want to." Peter looks away from her nervously and slouches forward, both elbows on the desk, and rubs his neck.

Madeline thinks as she stares at the person seated in front of her. Millions of thoughts cross over her head.

This boy, this 15 year old boy is offering her help by just talking. Ever since yesterday at school she's felt a connection to him like he was a lost best friend. She cant explain the feelings but its like her heart is telling her to get closer to him.

Peter Parker isn't like any other guy she's met; he's sweet, funny, and sometimes adorably awkward–so she can't lie to him at a time like this. Its eating her away.

She cant lie to any of her friends anymore, especially him.

"Peter—?" Madeline quietly says under breath, her hands starting to shake in her sleeves. She looks up at him and he shifts around in his seat, probably because he noticed the watering of her eyes.

"I do need to talk. Could you also do me a favor?"

•••••
Hi, author here, SO UM DAMN.
WRITING THIS CHAPTER TOOK SO MUCH OF MY EMOTIONS LIKE WOW I CANT.
MY SMOL BEANS I LOVE THEM LIKE CHILDREN.

But anyways I'd love it if whoever is reading this votes and comments because I love seeing feedback on how I could improve! THANK U BABIESSSS 🖤🕸🕷