The Monthly Tide

My ovaries are stabbing my insides as if I was freaking Julius Caesar himself.

I groan for the umpteenth time and clutch a hand over my stomach. My other one grabs onto the side of the couch as another endless wave of pain washes over. I grit my teeth, wishing I was dead instead of going through this again. Why did Eve have to bite that stupid apple?

If it were my choice I'd be in the comfort of my own room right now, in my own bed, with a bottle of ibuprofen at my side and a heating pad around my stomach as I sleep gracefully.

Unfortunately life isn't that fair to females.

I had been sitting on the couch, going through my writing journal when the cramps randomly hit. What a way to start the summer off. That was only ten minutes ago. It's still morning and the others are still in the dojo training. The cramping had started off strong and only got worse from there, so I haven't gotten the strength to get up and walk back to my room yet. I've run completely out of ibuprofen. There are no heating pads in this sewer. And unfortunately the stab fest is prohibiting me from falling asleep anytime soon.

My life is a living hell.

Ok, so I know I'm exaggerating a bit. But ya wanna know the truth? When a girl's on her period, nothing is an exaggeration. I whimper a little and shove a pillow over my face as the pain intensifies. My cramps probably qualify as some of the worst and I don't know why. I guess it's just another example of how my luck turns out in my life.

Though I guess I should be glad that my period patterns are usually predictable so I know when to wear a pad, and that I don't have to go through the awkwardness of the turtles knowing since I keep my stash in my room.

Usually when I'm on my flow, it feels like an emotional roller coaster ride, but right now I'm just in pain and craving just about any and everything sweet or chocolatey. Not only is it hard on my stomach but my back too. And even when I do take the medicine it seems to take forever to work. Sometimes the simple movement of even breathing makes it worse. During sixth grade year I used to throw up every time it came.

... Ugh, why did my brain have to bring that up? I slowly let out a long drawn out sigh as all the pain briefly subsides. Pulling the pillow from my face, I bring it to my chest and wrap my arms tightly around it, careful not to let it touch my stomach.

Man, some ice cream would be so good right about now...

Suddenly tired, I close my eyes, willing myself to drift off for a few minutes. Of course, that didn't last long. Every time I felt like I could fall asleep the waves of pain came back.

"Hey, I'm finished with training. You still up for that pinball rematch?" I barely hear Leo ask as he walks in from the dojo and I grip onto the pillow, bracing myself.

"... Y/n? Are you ok?" He asks when I don't respond.

I sigh and shake my head.

"What's wrong?" He sits next to me.

I look up at the ceiling. "Well, for starters, both world wars are going on in my stomach right now. I've used up all my medicine. I can't move. And some chocolate ice cream would be really good right about now... Not to mention–"

Before I can say anything else a pair of lips press against mine. I freeze for a moment in mid sentence, and blink from the unexpected kiss. Slowly realizing it's Leo's soft lips against mine, slightly bringing me out of my mood, I don't waste another second before closing my eyes and kissing him back. But as soon as I do he pulls back.

"What was that for?" I immediately pout a bit irritably.

"I thought it might make you feel better."