38

I duck away hiding from the guards. I have a total of ten shots left and something tells me I'm going to need them in that arena. I peak around the corner then take off sprinting toward the arena. I slip inside shutting the door quickly and quietly behind me then turn back around and take a deep breath. I take off at a quickened but still quiet walk and come upon stairs. Old rickety stairs... they remind me of the stairs in the abandoned building, only ten times more curvy. I take a deep breath then take off up them. RIP.

~~

They shove me up against a podium and I just let them. What's the point in anything anymore? I don't feel our connection... I don't feel Neveah, my Neveah. I lost her for good. I fall to my knees and my head falls against my chest.

"Weak." Jillian spits. 

She's right, I am weak. I was too weak to love Neveah, too weak to protect her, too weak to protect anyone. 

It feels like my heart has literally been cut in two. They jerk my head up and my eyes land upon Donovan. He stands with a grimacing smirk seeing me suffer. My hands are yanked behind my back and I hiss as the ropes tighten around me and cause my shoulder to feel it might pop. I feel the first sting and I shout out in agony. Another sting, another shout. I taste the iron in my mouth.

~~

A shout fills the air and I pause on the stairs. 

"Shane." I whisper then quicken my pace. Something grabs my ankle and I'm jerked to the ground. I twist and stare in horror as the demon continues to drag me down. I kick at it, ramming my heel into it's head. Blood shoots from it's skull and covers me as I push to my feet and take off again. I gasp stopping as figures drop before me. I step backwards and freeze as my back presses to the rail. I look over my shoulder to the dark abyss below and swallow looking back up. Demons step from the shadows and stalk toward me. Echoes of footsteps sound and I curse. Demons crawl down the wall before me and drop down to join the others.

"Ten against one. Doesn't seem fair." I grumble circling around as they circle me.

"I've got places I gotta be so if you guys would please just attack, that would be phenomenal." I mutter and just like that the one from behind me lunges. I duck at the last minute and he flies into the demon that was directly in front of me, both now knocked out. They're dumb.

"Alright then." I say and two more lunge at me. I block their blows then twist with a grunt and kick them back. One falls over the rail and the other into it. He goes to lunge and I duck hearing a demon attack from behind me. I spin as they both knock each other out and I smirk. You've gotta be kidding me. Five left. I block a blow from my right then spin and kick it in the head with as much force as possible. I hear a snap then it falls dead. Poorly made too. One comes up behind me and I spin shooting him in the end. Blood shoots from the hole and he falls dead. The other three attack and these are actually a challenge. They get a good blow in and I stumble back toward the rail. They lunge and I flip backwards gripping onto the rail then swinging back up and nailing two in the chest. They fly backwards and I go to lunge but something grabs my hair. I'm yanked backwards and I claw at the hands as they pull me. My butt hits the rail and I press both hands to it and push off. The grip loosens and I spin yanking my hair back and shooting at the demon. I watch as he flips over the rail then begins to fall. Hands wrap around me from behind and I ram my head back hearing a lovely snap. I yank out my gun and shoot the other two one in the head the other in the heart. They fall dead and I huff wiping sweat off my forehead. I spin as the last demon stands up, blood trailing down his face. I lift my gun and pull the trigger. He falls dead with the rest and I huff putting my guns away. I step over the bodies then run, continuing up the stairs.