Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

With a confidence unbeknownst to me, I firmly placed my palm against the crystal orb right beside Lysander's.

Instantly I felt a painful electric charge roll through my body that made my knees buckle but it was like my hand was now attached to the crystal.

The sphere lit up, blinding green light exploding through the room as it quietly reverberated under my hand.

All of the lights vanished as quickly as they came and when I looked to my side, once more Lysander was no longer beside me.

A hand was suddenly pressed against my forehead from behind, my eyes rolled back into the dark depths of my skull and I was surrounded by darkness.

I blinked slowly in the dark as a tiny light from somewhere far off began to grow and grow, it was the sun.

I held my hand in front of my eyes as I adjusted to the brightness of the space I now found myself in, I didn't know where I was but I knew that it was definitely not the room I originally entered.

A throat cleared from beside me and when I turned, Lysander stood next to me in a billowing white robe. Her red eyes twinkled down at me for a moment before she looked off and around at our surroundings that were beyond foreign to me.

"Where are we? Where did you take us?" I regretted going into that room, it had been one of my more stupid decisions as of lately.

Lysander didn't answer me, she instead placed a pale finger against her lips. We were outdoors in the middle of a forest that I had never seen before, there were birds chirping and flowers blooming, overall it was a peaceful scene.

That was until a piercing shriek ripped out across the serene woods, I jumped and Lysander's hand was suddenly clasping my shoulder and holding me in place. She wanted me to watch something. I followed her gaze and saw a woman pinned to the floor, she had short cropped brown hair and was visibly with child.

A pale man gripped her by the throat and kept her pinned and thrashing against the sweet forest grass by her fragile neck.

"Not the baby, please don't hurt my baby!" She screamed up at the creature and he smiled surely down at her and even from my distance, I could see the now all too familiar glint of vampire fangs in the sunlight.

Instinctively I lurched forward, I didn't know what I was planning to do but I knew that the pregnant woman needed help and I couldn't just sit by and do nothing at all. Lysander's grip was so firm and fast, she held me in place wanting me to watch what was taking place.

The vampire ignored her pleas and screams and drove his deadly fangs into the woman's neck and I had to turn away.

Lysander's eyes were glued to the scene before us, taking in every last gruesome detail of the attack. Her stare were glassy and there was even a ghost of a smile drawn across her features. Lysander dropped her hand from my shoulder and wordlessly began walking towards the woman and away from me.

I scrambled after Lysander and nervously followed her footsteps not wanting to draw the attention of the vampire but it was as if we were invisible to the beast. No matter how close we got, the creature nor the woman seemed to care in the slightest.

Suddenly the vampire stood up and I sucked in a breath, we'd gotten too close after all. He craned his head in the hair, lifting his nostrils to scan the air for a scent. Blood dripped freely from his lips, trailing down his jaw and dripping onto the forest floor right beside the poor woman he mauled.