Sorting Hat

Y/n's POV

The doors to the Great Hall opened, and all of us first years stepped inside a vast room where 4 tables were spread out vertically. Each had students wearing a different color; red, blue, yellow or green. From what my parents had told me, I knew that the colors stood for the 4 houses at Hogwarts. We stopped at the front of the hall where a table laid horizontally on top of a platform that wasn't to high off of the ground. At that table were the teachers, who all stared at us as if they were trying to decide which of us would be worthy of their favoritism.

"When I call your name, you will come forth. Then, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger," McGonagall called out. A girl with frizzy brown hair walked up to the stool and sat down, the sorting hat being placed on her head soon after. It only took a few moments before the sorting hat had made it's mind.

"Gryffindor."

"Draco Malfoy," McGonagall summoned. Draco walked up to the hat confidently and took a seat on the stool. Before the garment was even placed upon his head, the hat had already shouted his house.

"Slytherin."

That wasn't even a surprise to me. Based off of his attitude, Slytherin was the perfect fit. Besides that, his whole lineage had been placed in Slytherin, and it was considered a shame to them to be in any other house.

"Y/n Fawley," McGonagall read from the list.

"All right. You can do this," I mumble to myself and take a seat on the stool. I felt the hat being placed on my head, it's rough fabric making me flinch. However, unlike the other students who had been sorted, the hat didn't make my decision right away. Instead, it began talking.

"Hmm," the Sorting Hat hummed. "A Fawley. I remember when your parents attended this school. It looks like you've obtained your father's stubbornness and your mother's intelligence, which fit both Ravenclaw and Gryffindor traits. But you're also ambitious and cunning, perfect Slytherin qualities. I could place you in Slytherin. You'd do quite well there, you know. There is one trait of yours that makes my decision final though, and that's your chivalry. So, I've decided to place you in...................................Gryffindor."

I had been hoping and praying that I didn't get in Slytherin, so I was grateful to be placed in Gryffindor. I smiled and hopped off of the stool, heading to the table filled with students wearing red robes. Harry and Ron were both also placed in Gryffindor which made me happy because I now had two friends from my house. Food appeared on the table once the sorting ceremony was over, and we all dug in. I was starving, so I filled my plate to the brim. As I ate, I talked to Hermione, who was sitting in the seat next to me, and found that we had a lot in common. Further into the meal, as Ron reached for another chicken leg, a ghost's head popped up from under the table causing Ron to jump back in surprise.

"Wait a second. I know you," I say. "You're Nearly Headless Nick. My father's told me loads of stories about you."

"Ah. Another Fawley. I remember when your father went here," Nick recalled. "He was a great student. I'm positive you'll be just the same."

After the feast, Percy led us out of the Great Hall, and we walked up and down staircases which moved quite a lot. Forget the classes. The stairs would be the trickiest thing here. Finally, we stopped in front of a portrait with a lady wearing some sort of white gown.

"Caput Draconis," Percy told her. The lady on the portrait smiled at us, and then the portrait swung open to reveal the Gryffindor Common Room. "Gather around first years. Welcome to the Gryffindor Common Room. Boys' dormitories are upstairs and down to your left. Girls, the same to your right. You'll find that your possessions have already been brought up."

When I got to the dormitory, I found that my stuff had already been placed against a bed next to a window. My owl's cage had also already been brought up. My parents bought me a barn owl as a gift for finally being able to attend Hogwarts. His name was Quaf, an unusual but meaningful name. I had named him after the Quaffle, a ball used in Quidditch. I was a Quidditch fanatic. Basically my whole family was. I changed into some pajamas and climbed into my bed, which was way more comfortable than my bed at home. The excitement for my first day of school hit me hard, and the thought of tomorrow lured me to sleep.