Game On

Y/n's POV

Today was the first Quidditch game, and of course, it was Gryffindor against Slytherin, the biggest rivalry at Hogwarts. I knew Quidditch like the back of my hand. I mean, my dad had raised me on the sport. He was a fanatic just like I was. But for some reason, I was really nervous. It felt as if something had gnawed a hole straight through my stomach, so I just stared at the food in front of me.

"You all right Y/n?" Oliver asked as he stopped across from me at the dining table.

"I'm just a little nervous for the first match," I confess and pick at my eggs.

"Hey. Every time I talk to your dad, he tells me how talented you are. If he thinks you're good, then you must have some talent in you. And don't worry. Me and the rest of the team will be out there watching your back. Now, eat up. You need your strength for the game," Oliver told me.

I smiled. "Right. Thanks, Oliver." Just as Oliver left, an owl dropped a package off in front of me. "It's for you, Harry." Harry slid down the table to reach the package, and he ripped opened the wrapping to reveal a new broomstick. But not just any broomstick. The Nimbus 2000. It was only the newest model sold in the stores. "Wow! Looks like we'll be matching, Harry. I've got the same broom. My dad gave me a Nimbus 2000 as a birthday gift. With our brooms, we'll be the fastest ones on the pitch. No one will be able to beat us."

"Are you sure about that Fawley?" Malfoy questioned and appeared behind me. "Because it's been years since Gryffindor has won the cup." 

I growled and turned around to face him. "Well guess what, Malfoy? I don't care how long it's been since Gryffindor has won the cup. All I know is that we're going to dominate the pitch this year. The Slytherin team can cheat and use their conniving methods all they want to try and capture the win, but they'll fail. It's that simple." 

............................................................

It was now time for the Quidditch teams to head out to the locker rooms and get ready for the game. My uniform had a large number 5 sewed onto the back of it, and since that was my favorite number, I had a feeling that this season would be a bit lucky. As I was putting my hair up into a ponytail, two girls appeared in front of me. 

"I'm Angelina Johnson," the darker skinned girl greeted. 

"And I'm Katie Bell," the other girl introduced. "We're the other chasers on the team." 

"It's nice to meet you," I return and shake both of their hands.

"Oliver has told us so much about you. Well, actually, he hasn't told us much except for the fact that you guys know each other," Angelina admitted. "But he mentioned that you're pretty talented. I can't wait to see you play." 

"Hey guys, back off all right," Fred interjected and appeared at my side. "You're crowding her." That's when the door to the room we were in opened, and the pitch was laid out before me. This was it. This was the moment of truth. 

"Good luck," Oliver wished me. 

Then, in unison, we flew out onto the pitch. Flying was one of the most amazing things in the world. I've loved it ever since I was a kid because it made me feel invincible. I got into my position, and just as Madam Hooch finished explaining the rules, she through the quaffle up into the air. All at once, the chasers flew for the fall. Because I was the smallest chaser on the field, I easily managed to snag the ball.

"Nice grab by 1st year Chaser Y/n Fawley," Lee Jordan spoke into the microphone. I flew away from the middle of the pitch and down towards the Slytherin hoops where I passed the ball to Katie. Katie then dodged a Slytherin chaser and tossed the ball to Angelina, who caught it and threw the ball at the hoops. The Slytherin keeper dived, but missed the ball, allowing it to soar through the hoops. "10 points for Gryffindor!"

Slytherin took possession of the ball next, and the chasers passed the quaffle back and forth between them. One of them threw the ball at the hoops, but Oliver was there to hit it away with the back end of his broom. It flew into the hands of Katie, who passed it to me, and I flew down the pitch with the quaffle tucked tightly under my arm. When I looked back, I saw the Slytherin team on my tail, meaning I had to get rid of the quaffle quickly. As I neared the hoops, I threw the quaffle at the hoop on the far right. The Slytherin keeper dived, but missed again, so I had just scored my first goal. I cheered to myself quietly, but then got my head back in the game. 

So far, Oliver was doing an amazing job at blocking the hoops, but that only got the Slytherin team annoyed. Marcus Flint, captain and a chaser on the Slytherin team, grabbed a bat from one of his beaters, and swung at a bludger that came towards him. I heard the crack of the ball hitting the bat, and the bludger headed straight towards Oliver. It hit Oliver hard in the chest, and his back collided with the hoop. Then, he lost consciousness and fell to the ground where he laid motionless.

Things only started going south after that. Katie was squished between two Slytherin chasers, and they purposely made her crash into one of the seating towers. Harry was still searching for the snitch, and because we had no keeper, Slytherin kept scoring. Finally though, Harry spotted the snitch and dove after it. I had to ignore him though and pay attention to the game at hand. While I was busy trying to score, I didn't notice that Harry caught the snitch. 

"150 points are being awarded to Gryffindor. So, Gryffindor wins!" Lee shouted into the microphone. The Gryffindors in the stands all cheered while the Slytherins booed and sulked off. And, I just so happened to catch Malfoy's eye amongst the crowd, and I gave him a smirk. I told him I would win.