First Year; Train Ride

Y/n's POV

For practically my whole life, my parents had told me about Hogwarts and the wonders that the school held. They told stories about their old professors, classes they frequently enjoyed, and the friends they had made, plus the tales of how they fell in love. And every single story only made me want to go there even more and experience the things that they had. Back when they attended Hogwarts, my father was a Gryffindor and my mother was a Ravenclaw. Where I fell though, I didn't know.  My parents came from two pureblood families; my father from the Fawley family, and my mother from the Selwyn family. Because of that, I'm a pureblood.

I currently live in America, and I have for all of my life. So going to a school in England would be a bit tricky for me, but I was up for the challenge. My parents moved here when they got married because they wanted a better environment for me and my older brother, Miles. Getting to and from work was no problem for my parents though. My father is an Auror, meaning he helps catch all of the dark wizards lose in the world. And my mother works in St. Mungo's, the wizarding hospital. Both use apparation and floo powder help with their travels. But now, in the present, it's time for the first day of term, and I was excited, to say the least.

I was standing in front of the Hogwarts Express alone, scared out of my mind. As soon as we had watched my luggage get packed up onto the train, my parents had to leave for work, leaving me all by myself. With the train about to leave, I took a deep breath and walked through the nearest car door, where I began to look for a compartment. All of the compartments were full except for one near the back of the car. Inside, a boy with black hair and pale skin was sitting all alone, so I slid open the compartment door and poked my head inside. 

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" I ask. "All of the other compartments are full." 

"Not at all," he replied as I sat down. 

"Great. Thank you. I'm Y/n Fawley," I greet and stick out my hand. 

"Harry Potter," the boy returned and shook it. My parents had told me all about the story of Harry Potter. His parents had been killed by He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named when Harry was only a baby. The best and most interesting part of the story though was that Harry had survived the killing curse, and had a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead to prove it. A few minutes later, a red-haired boy knocked on the door. 

"Can I join you guys?" the boy questioned. 

"Yeah. Come on in," I chirp and move over to give him some room. The boy took the seat next to me and held out his hand. 

"Ronald Weasley. But everyone calls me Ron," the boy explained. 

I shook his hand gently. "Y/n Fawley. And this is Harry Potter. It's nice to meet you."

....................................................

All of the first years were in a room outside of the Great Hall waiting to be called inside. We hadn't seen much of Hogwarts yet, but so far, with the little I've seen, it's even better than what my parents described. After a few minutes, a woman dressed in all green descended a few of the steps to greet all of us.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, first years," the woman started. "I'm Professor McGonagall. In a few moments, you will go through these doors and join the others. But before you can sit, you must be sorted into your house. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, during your stay here, your house will be like your family. Your achievements will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points for your house. At the end of the school year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup. The ceremony will begin shortly. Just wait out here for a few moments while we get ready for you."

As Professor McGonagall headed back into the Great Hall, everyone turned to those they had met on the train and began talking excitedly. Harry, Ron, and I stuck together, but it wasn't long before a boy with slicked back blonde hair walked up to us. 

"It's true then, what everyone was saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts this year. This is Crabbe and Goyle," the boy introduced and pointed to the beefier boys behind him. "And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." Ron stifled a laugh, which Draco didn't seem to find hilarious in the slightest. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask for yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley."

"Leave him alone," I spit out and turn back to Ron. "Don't take anything he says to heart, Ron. You're amazing no matter where you come from. Some pureblood families think they're better than everyone else, but I think that's rubbish. Everyone should be treated the same." 

Draco​ eyed me up and down. "A quick tongue and a stubbornness about her opinion. My parents have told me all about the other pureblood families. You're a Fawley for sure, aren't you? Potter, you'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort, like these two. I can help you there." 

"I think I can choose my own friends correctly," Harry spoke just as Professor McGonagall reentered the hall.

"We will see you now."