Dueling Club

Y/n's POV

Thankfully, I had received good news when I went to the hospital wing. My shoulder and ribs were only bruised from the Quidditch match, so I was okay to keep playing for the season. Honestly, I don't know what I'd have done if I wasn't able to continue playing. But, whenever I moved, my body hurt terribly. I guess that was the price to pay if I wanted to keep up with Quidditch. Now, there was a dueling club being held at Hogwarts, and since I was a fan of all things Defense Against the Darks Arts, I attended the meeting with Hermione, Harry, and Ron. The four of us took up positions right next to the long platform Professors Lockhart and Snape were standing atop of.

"Welcome, students," Lockhart greeted. "Today for dueling club, Professor Snape has agreed to be my assistant. But don't worry. He'll still be here when I'm done with him." I shook my head, laughing a bit as they turned their backs to each other and walked 5 paces back. Then, they faced each other with their wands raised. "On the count of three. One. Two. Three."

"Expelliarmus!" Snape recited, a red jet of light shooting out of his wand that sent Lockhart flying.

"See, everyone. He just disarmed me," Lockhart claimed as he stood up and brushed himself off.

"How about we have 2 students try it," Snape suggested.

"Excellent idea!" Lockhart chirped. "Fawley, Weasley, come up here please." Before Ron could climb onto the platform though, Snape held out a hand that stopped him. Ron frowned, and returned to his spot next to Harry, leaving me on the platform by myself.

"Weasley's wand is broken. He'll send Fawley to the hospital wing with a simple spell. Might I suggest someone from my own house. Malfoy, perhaps," Snape proposed. Of course Snape had chosen for me to duel against Malfoy. We had the biggest rivalry when it came down to potions class, and us being in opposing houses only added fuel to the fire.

"Good luck, Fawley. We don't know what tricks the two of them have up their sleeves," Lockhart spoke and pat my back.

"You've got this Y/n," Harry cheered from the crowd as I took my place in front of Draco.

"Nervous, Fawley?" Malfoy asked.

I scoffed. "You wish." The two of us bowed, and then turned around, taking a good amount of steps away from each other.

"On the count of three. Disarming spells only please," Lockhart emphasized. "We don't want any accidents. One. Two." Draco didn't even wait to the count of three to start.

"Everte Statum!" Malfoy cried out. A blast of white light flew from Draco's wand and hit me, and I did a few flips in the air before falling back to the ground, hitting my already injured shoulder. I winced and clutched at the appendage, which caused Draco to smirk at me from his spot across the platform. The Slytherins in the crowd laughed with each other and pointed at me, but that didn't discourage me. In fact, it gave me the strength to stand up. There was no way I was going to lose to a Slytherin.

"You git!" I curse at him. "Lockhart said disarming spells only."

Malfoy shrugged. "So?"

"Fine. You want to play that game? Then we'll play that game. Rictusempra!" I yell. My spell hit Draco in the torso, and he flew back in the air, landing on his butt right in front of Snape. The Gryffindors all laughed, giving me more courage and strength than before. Snape growled and grabbed Draco by his robes, shoving him towards me to continue the duel.

"I said disarm only," Lockhart repeated, a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"Serpensortia!" Malfoy shouted. With that spell, a large serpent went flying out of the tip of Draco's wand, landing a few feet in front of me. And then my whole world seemed to freeze. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. All I could do was stare at the snake, who was now looking directly at me, it's tongue flickering outside of its mouth. How did Draco know I was afraid of snakes? The hand holding my wand started shaking, and I couldn't think of any spells to get rid of it.

"I'll get it for you Fawley," Snape declared and walked over.

"No no," Lockhart disagreed. "Allow me." Lockhart pointed his wand at the reptile and chanted a spell that I didn't catch. The only thing that was important was that it didn't work. The serpent was thrown into the air, and then descended back towards the platform just as quickly. As soon as it hit the ground, it hissed in my direction, and that's when I lost it. I climbed down from the platform and ran out of the hall, not looking back once to see what had happened.

................................................................................................................................................................

Christmas break went by faster than I could have imagined. Going home was nice. Getting to see my parents and spend some time with my brother was always a treat. When break was over, and I headed back to Hogwarts, I found that more students had been petrified, and all of them were muggle born. The only thing that seemed to take my mind off of that was the upcoming Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Our whole team was waiting at the entrance to the pitch, ready to play the match. But that was interrupted when Professor McGonagall walked towards us.

"Professor McGonagall, are you going to be watching the game?" Oliver questioned.

"I'm afraid this match has been cancelled," McGonagall informed us.

"What? You can't cancel Quidditch," Oliver exclaimed.

"Silence, Mr. Wood. All of you head up to the common room. But Mr. Potter, Ms. Fawley, I'd like a word with you," McGonagall requested. "But we need to find Mr. Weasley first."

Once we found Ron, Professor McGonagall led us to the hospital wing, and there I saw Hermione laying on one of the bed, petrified. All I needed was one look at her before I ran out of there straight back to the common room. In my dormitory, I discovered a black diary sitting on the edge of my bed. I frowned and picked it up, heading down to the common room to see if I could find the owner.

"Hey, Lavender? Is this by chance yours? It was sitting on my bed," I say and show her the diary.

"No," Lavender replied. "I've never seen that before in my life."

"Right," I murmur and stare down at the diary in my hands. I then headed back up to my empty dormitory, sat down near the window, and flipped open to the first page. There was no name on the inside cover, and there was also no writing on the insides either, which was odd. So, I grabbed a quill and a bottle of ink, returned to my spot, and began to write.

My name is Y/n Fawley.

My ink disappeared almost immediately, and I squinted my eyes, trying to figure out where it had gone. Seconds later, another line appeared.

I'm Tom Riddle.