First Day

Y/n's POV

After breakfast the next morning, I headed down to my first class, which was Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall, the Transfiguration teacher, was the head of Gryffindor house, so I figured we'd get along well. Hermione and I took seats next to each other, and I looked around to find where Harry and Ron were, but I couldn't see them. That's when the door to the classroom opened, and Harry and Ron walked in. 

"Could you imagine the look of McGonagall's face if we were late?" Harry asked. And that's when the cat that was sitting on McGonagall's desk jumped off and transformed into Professor McGonagall her.

 "Whoa. That was brilliant," Ron commented.

"Thank you for your observation, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I turned one of you into a pocket watch, then the other would be on time," McGonagall spoke. 

"We got lost," Harry claimed. 

"A map, then, would be useful," Professor McGonagall joked all too seriously. "I hope you don't need one to find your seats." Harry and Ron took the two open seats in the classroom, and the class continued. Next was Potions class, and I had the pleasure of sitting next to Harry while Hermione and Ron sat behind us. Professor Snape walked in, and he closed all of the curtains with a wave of his wand. 

"There will be no silly wand waving or foolish incantations in this class," Snape announced. "As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potions. However, there are a select few who possess the greatness that is Potions." After he spoke, his gaze moved onto Draco, who smiled. Snape eyes then flickered over to me for a brief second, but he looked away quickly before continuing his speech. "I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not pay attention. Mr. Potter. Our new celebrity. Tell us, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" 

Harry shrugged. "I don't know." 

"You don't know? Well, let's go again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Snape quizzed. 

"I don't know sir," Harry repeated. 

"And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfbane?" Snape implored. 

"I don't know," Harry answered. 

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything," Snape muttered. 

"Don't worry about it, Harry," I whisper to the boy sitting next to me. "You'll get it right next time."

"Ms. Fawley," Snape called out and turned to face me. "I assume since you're still talking you know the answers. So lets hear them."

I frowned. "The answers? You mean to the questions you just asked? Sir, it's the first class. I don't know how you'd expect a first year to know those answers."

"The answers. Now," Snape demanded. I knew fully well that Snape was expecting me to butcher my responses, but he had another thing coming.

"Powdered root of asphodel combined with an infusion of wormwood make the Draught of Living Death. Bezoars are found in the stomachs of goats. And there is no difference between Monkshood and Wolfsbane. Those are just other names for Aconite," I state and lean back in my seat.

I could tell that Snape didn't really like Gryffindors. He had an eye for Slytherins because they were his own house. But I planned on changing that. By the end of this year, Professor Snape would like me, and I had a feeling the title of "Professor Snape's Favorite First Year" would be bestowed upon me pretty soon. Because behind the sneer that he made, I could tell that he was impressed by my extensive knowledge of Potions. And then, once it was clear that I was the best Potions student, Draco would have no choice but to wipe that stupid grin off of his face.

..........................................

"Eye of rabbit, harp string hum. Turn this water into rum," Seamus mumbled. 

"What is Seamus doing?" Harry questioned and glanced further down the table. 

"Trying to turn his water into rum," I reply. "But I don't think it'll turn out too well." Right after I spoke, a boom sounded, and I looked to see that Seamus had blown up his goblet.

"Mail time!" someone in the hall shouted. All at once, owls flew in through a window near the roof. Some were carrying letters while others held packages, and they all swooped down towards the students. Quaf dropped a letter in front of me and then flew away with the others back out through the same window they came in from. Upon closer examination, I saw that the letter was from my father, and it read:

Dear Y/n,

I'm so proud of you for getting into Gryffindor. I always knew you were more similar to me than your mom. She isn't as excited as me and hoped you'd be in Ravenclaw. Have fun at Hogwarts and study hard. It may seem easy at first, but don't slack off. The work will become harder as the weeks go on. Your mother and I miss you already. We hope you're having fun. Do us proud.

Love, Dad

"Hey look! Neville's got a rememberall," Dean pointed out. I looked a few seats down to see that Neville had indeed gotten a rememberall. Rememberalls filled with red smoke when you've forgotten something, and Neville's had already turned blood red. 

"The thing is, I haven't remember what I've forgotten," Neville said, which caused all of the Gryffindors to laugh.