Page 113

But in England everything was ready for public execution. "Queen" is called racists and scum, the press proceeds with hatred, the popularity of the group falls sharply. "Queen" was accused of racism and connivance of the policy of apartheid. In vain, Brian May said that Queen was speaking to a multiracial audience and the audience, including the Negroes, were ecstatic, and finally that the song "I Want To Break Free" became an unofficial anthem of the African National Congress - an excuse for declaring Freddie Mercury an enemy People was found. Against Queen, punitive measures were used, unprecedented in the modern history of British democracy. Brian May was summoned to a special meeting of the British Musicians' Union, where "Queen" was chosen in the best traditions of the Soviet trade union meetings. The group is heavily penalized, and it falls on the UN's black list. In vain, the quinas offered to ask the oppressed Negro themselves whether they considered themselves offended, vainly recalled that other famous singers - Cliff Richard, Elton John, Rod Stewart - also performed in South Africa, and there was no hysteria - it was useless. Are the laws of logic and common sense operating where there is propaganda and a double standard?

According to the results of 1984, the battlefield remained for the Owners. Despite the success of the new album and singles and a prize from one of the British foundations, Queen was pretty battered and tortured, her popularity plummeted. Huge losses brought a break in the contract with the firm Electra and baiting the Hosts. It was a year of failed hopes. But in her Christmas single "Thank God's It's Christmas", "Queen" declares its inflexibility and readiness to continue the war.

In 1985, "Queen" restores the losses of the previous year. In January, during a performance at the festival in Rio de Janeiro, Freddie receives a "gift from the 84th year" - immediately upon arrival in Rio, he is attacked with offensive questions about the homosexuality of the video clip "I Want To Break Free", and in the performance This song on the stage in it, stones are flying from "indignant workers" - for appearing in comic women's clothes. Freddie threw off his clothes and the room calmed down.

During the year, "Queen" toured, restoring a spoiled reputation. Mercury is releasing a solo album "Mr. Bad Guy ", in which he again hints at persecution and slander on the part of a certain" Big Daddy ", removes two solo video clips. In July 1985 Queen acted on the charity action "Live Aid", broadcast to dozens of countries. It was the absolute triumph of Mercury, completely blocking all past troubles. "Queen" along with the Christian rock band "U-2" got into the favorites of the marathon and in a single instant turned into the most popular group of the world. Their albums are sold all over the world and come out in million copies, and the collection "Greatest Hits" becomes one of the most popular albums of all time and people, in honor of Freddie in the UK issued a postage stamp. In the history of "Queen" came a turning point. Hysterics of the press, Attempts to score a new single of the group on charges of speculating on charity do not help. Mercury has become a leader, and anything can not be done about it.

In the autumn, Mercury returns to London and finally settles in her house. The tax reference has ended - henceforth it is impossible to ruin it. But something happened - Freddie completely changes the old way of life. From now on, he lives in his house as a recluse, going only to work, and nowhere appears alone. He stops talking with all his Munich friends, with the exception of Reinhard Mack. Freddie will return to Munich from 1986 - he spent almost three months in this city, working in the studio, and in the summer he gave a concert there. But during his stay in Munich, he spends all his free time either in the company of his colleagues in Queen, or a recluse in his apartment. He obviously is hiding. It seems that after the fracture of 1985 the war entered a new stage - a direct hunt for Freddie Mercury began. Now that the throne of King Rock is very near,

1986 was a triumph for Queen. Director Russell Malkahi, having shown courage and violating the private taboo of the Hosts, orders the group the soundtrack to the fantastic film "Highlander". The music for this film becomes the basis for the new album "Queen" "A Kind Of Magic" ("Such magic"). "Highlander" is very popular and becomes a cult film for the youth of the whole world, the European cinematographic press is delighted, children and teenagers of the whole Western Europe play in "Maclaud". In the US, panicked hosts are doing everything to "fill up" the film at the box office - and all the musical and cinematographic press in America is working on its failure. As Sean Connery, one of the biographers, noted, the hire and promotion of the "Highlander" in the US was an example of how this should not be done. In the US, he collected only $ 3,000,000. Nevertheless, The film acquired many fans in the US, and three years later became a cult in this country. Of course, "Highlander" was not even nominated for an Oscar - otherwise the reward for the best music would have been the hateful "Queen", and this was impossible to admit. But all the troubles in the US were more than offset by the triumph in Europe and Japan.

The album "A Kind Of Magic" comes out on top and enjoys a success that no British band has known since the release of the "stellar" Beatles albums. The single with the same name takes the third place in England and the first one in the charts of 35 countries of the world. All new singles and "Queen" videos are in great demand, and the video "A Kind Of Magic" won first place not only in Britain, but also in dozens of countries.

Something important has happened. This is not just a successful year, which was a lot in the career of "Queen", this is the beginning of the reign. In the world, massive quinomania rages, their albums, old and new, are bought up in millions of copies in dozens of countries around the world. Queen videos are among the best videos in the UK and around the world, Queen was unanimously recognized by the National Institute of England and the best band of 1986, and Freddie Mercury is the best vocalist. The video clip "Live In Rio" takes first place and receives the award as "Best British Video". Crushing reviews in some newspapers do not help - quinomania does not cease. The ban on Mercury's solo video "Living On My Own", accused of transvestism, does not help either. It served as a free advertisement for Mercury's solo video mummy, which in a matter of days was swept from the counters and came out on top. And the groundless refusal of British television to show "Queen" videos only increased their popularity - and they were still shown through cable channels. Although "Queen" is still ignored by the authorities and they do not receive prestigious awards - but what about them before that! Everywhere sing their songs, and their frenzied popularity and without vulgar awards and decorations makes their enemies sob at night. Freddie openly begins to call "The King of Rock" - first one newspaper, then another, the third. What is happening is more like the events of 1963 - the time of the beginning of Beatlemania ... And their rabid popularity and without vulgar awards and decorations makes their enemies sob at night. Freddie openly begins to call "The King of Rock" - first one newspaper, then another, the third. What is happening is more like the events of 1963 - the time of the beginning of Beatlemania ... And their rabid popularity and without vulgar awards and decorations makes their enemies sob at night. Freddie openly begins to call "The King of Rock" - first one newspaper, then another, the third. What is happening is more like the events of 1963 - the time of the beginning of Beatlemania ...

In the album "A Kind Of Magic", the topic of confrontation is noticeably shifting to the theme of an early celebration - the song "Do not Loose Your Head" says: "Do not lose your way and do not lose your head, remember - love is stronger , Love wins all ... You must reach the very top - and stay alive. " And in the already mentioned "Princes Of The Universe" Mercury speaks of himself as the future King of Rock, who will overcome everything, will pass all the trials - and receive his throne.

In the summer, the most grandiose tour of Europe, the "Magic Tour", took place in the history of Queen. Queen performances have always been popular, but there has never been anything like what was going on that summer of 1986.

People besieged the ticket offices, snatching tickets at any price - only preliminary orders were about half a million. Concerts of "Queen" were collected by a total of 1,000,000 spectators and brought income of more than 11.000.000 pounds. Three of the most grandiose concerts in London, Nebuort and Budapest were attended by 400,000 people, and a concert in Budapest was the first performance of a western rock band in the history of Hungary. None of this was known by any rock band or rock singer from the time of the same Beatlemania of the 60s.

113