Page 22

He was very well read, well versed in classical literature, philosophy and poetry. I knew both Eastern and Western literary classics. Quite simply quoted in his songs Shakespeare and Nietzsche, Mesniev and Villon. I knew several languages.

Freddie Mercury did what no rocker has been able to achieve so far - he was the first to turn rock music into high art. Unfortunately, he was the last - until no one took the baton from him. From the point of view of shark-show business shots, Freddie committed a criminal offense - he dared to instill aesthetic taste among young people, while all the efforts of modern mass culture are aimed at bringing it down to animal level.

Without any exaggeration, you can say: Freddie Mercury is a genius. And not in one, but in several spheres of art.

He was externally very beautiful. Older people, usually with humor or bewilderment related to the hobbies of their offspring, say they perfectly understand why their children are crazy about Freddie.

There really was something to look at - Freddie could be admired as a picture. Graceful, graceful figure. Slender, beautiful and strong body. A thin, noble face of dazzling beauty. Kind, shining eyes. Wide charming smile.

He was a wonderful man with rare spiritual qualities. Geniuses are often cruel and selfish - Freddie was completely different.

Almost everyone who has had a chance to communicate with Freddie unanimously says that they have not met a more kind, generous and charming person. He had a tremendous sense of humor, was the soul of the company. His classmate Derrick Branch said that as a child, Freddie was smiling all the time-and that's how he stayed for life. He laughed and joked all the time. Wherever he appeared, a crowd gathered around him-he attracted people with his humor and charm. If there was constant laughter in the studio or at the party, like in a circus, then Freddie was there. He constantly told anecdotes and funny stories, peppered with witticisms, artistically portrayed all the situations in the faces, making laugh to the point of colic.

Meanwhile, for all his fun, he suffered greatly - his unhappy personal life. His first novel ended in failure, attempts to create a family did not succeed. He was rich and beautiful, surrounded by the love of millions of fans, but very lonely. When he came home late at night - no one met him, except cats. And many of his songs are full of longing for a lonely love, a dream of a house, where every day you are waited and met by a loved one. His friends grew up with children, but he had no one. Some of his friends said that he resembled a clown from the famous English anecdote, which in the evening makes people laugh, and at night he sobs into the pillow. Freddie confirmed these words with a great sense of the retro song "The Great Pretender": "Oh yes, I'm a great pretender, I'm building a laughing clown ... I'm lonely, but I'm not telling anyone about it."

But he was not embittered at people, he did not become bitter. He adored people, never involving them in their problems. He did not demand attention to himself, but he was very attentive to others.

He was a very kind, generous and merciful person. Always with interest and anxiety asked people how they had affairs, and this was not just politeness - he was really deeply concerned about other people's problems. And it did not matter who it was - his friend or an occasional acquaintance, a stage colleague or a cleaning lady. If he found out that someone had a problem, he immediately offered his help. I was ready to participate in the affairs of strangers to him. He could quit everything and go to an accidental man, whom, in his opinion, was bad, although he himself sometimes was even worse.

He possessed quality, very rare among the stars - a complete lack of pride and arrogance. He was always very simple, nice and polite in dealing with people.

He was an ideal companion. If his friend fell ill, he threw everything and rushed to him, could sit at the bedside patient for days, taking care of him like an nurse. His friends remembered that Freddie was then difficult to "kick out" - he always asked: "Maybe something else is needed?".

He was very sensitive. Always madly empathized with others' sufferings. I was very upset if I could not help. And if I could, I helped immediately. He burst into tears because of the suffering of others, but he treated his own people quite differently, unlike his self-centered colleagues. In his song "Made In Heaven" there are lines: "I suffer from all misfortunes and tear my soul", and this is not a poetic image.

His generosity and asked for oriental tales. He fully fulfilled the covenants of his faith - wealth only then is acceptable, when you share it with other people, you give shelter to the homeless, feed the hungry. Freddie knew first hand what true poverty and human suffering are. He saw what Western people know only from the press. He himself grew up in a wealthy family, but during his childhood in India he saw slums and beggars - and this is a terrible sight. He always remembered: there are people in the world who are ill, very bad, and they need help.

A rare charity event did without his participation. He sacrificed a lot of money to help the poor. But this is only a small part of what he did for people. As soon as he learned about someone else's misfortune - on TV, from newspapers, from the words of friends and acquaintances - he immediately sent a check for a large sum, it was confirmed by his friend Dave Clark. But he did it anonymously, remembering the rule of the Mazdayasni faith - it is sinful to boast of good deeds, they simply need to be done. The other in his place would arrange a whole show for self-promotion, posing for the cameras along with the grateful recipients of the check - Freddie never did anything like that.

If someone praised a thing in his house, he immediately said: "Do you like it? Take it, it's yours! " Easily made luxurious gifts - it gave him great pleasure. In batches handed out money. It was necessary for someone to hint in his presence about money problems, and he immediately wrote out a check or gave a large sum of cash. If his friend or acquaintance did not have a home - he bought him a house or an apartment. He said: "I have a house, and he does not have a place to live. I'll buy him ... ». He arranged chic cheerful holidays, which are so loved by Oriental people, and carefully watched that his guests were having fun. Alas, many scoundrels used his generosity and lived at his expense - then, to the joy of the press and biographers, to pour mud on a man who did not see anything but good.

And it's not that he is rich - as his friends and mother remembered, he was ready to give his last shirt and last money in his youth, if he was asked about it. He himself said: "If I had no money, I would have lived the same way" - and it's true. Money for him was only an additional way to enjoy life - and help people. But they were not at all a goal and a god for him - his generosity is proof.

Here is the answer for you, where much of its multi-million dollar state has gone. And he spent it not at all on cocaine and lovers, as his biographers say!

Being rich and famous, surrounded by millions of fans, he never became proud. He said to himself: "I'm an ordinary person. I have good and bad sides in me. I am a sinner, like any of you. " Allowed self-deprecating utterances. In one of the interviews he said: "The last thing I would like is to write about me:" Oh yeah, it's really a wonderful person. " I am the same as all people, I have black and white in me, sometimes I can be a terrible bastard "... By the way, that's what he did not threaten - the press wrote about him almost exclusively muck ... But how it does not look like proud words Many rock stars: "I'm a god, I'm better than God, I'm cool"!

His great music Mercury called "disposable napkins" and in his shows and videos often joked about himself.

He was very modest in his daily life - simple in communication, always modestly dressed, afraid of embarrassing someone. When Freddie was godfather to the son of Rainhard Mack, after the ceremony he was the only one who did not sing in chorus - he was afraid that his voice would block the chorus, and remained silent. And biographers angrily speak of his indiscretion.

22