35) When I Said I Do

Start from the beginning

The first thing that we heard was "Lily!" being shouted as James ran down the stairs and swooped her up over his shoulder and began tickling her as she giggled. I smiled as he stopped tickling her and gave me a kiss on the cheek, "Looking as gorgeous as ever Cassie."

I smiled playfully at his charm and replied, "Oh well thank you James. Seems you haven't lost your charm."

He smirked at me as he lightly placed Lily right side up on the floor before he tousled Tom's hair. "What's up mate?"

Tom glared and patted his hair down before muttering, "Nothing much. Where is Chris?"

"Out back with Paige" James answered.

I clapped my hands together with delight. "Paige came?!"

James rolled his eyes, "Yep." Paige had been dating Chris for as long as I can remember, and I loved her company.

Lily pulled down James's jeans. "Where's Nick and Payton?"

James looked down at her, "They're upstairs."

That was all Lily needed before bounding up the mountain of stairs.

James wrapped an arm around Tom and my shoulders and began to lead us toward the kitchen. "So how is the happy couple?"

I had the urge to scoff, in fact I had the urge to make a very sarcastic comment, but I held my tongue. If anything, I wanted this day to run smoothly without any drama. I deserved a break.

"Can't really complain." Tom said through partially clenched teeth,

"Oh Cassie!" I heard Julia say before she rounded the corner with a pleasant heart warming smile. I returned the gesture and met her half way for a hug. She gave me another lasting smile after breaking apart from the embrace and her attention shifted towards Tom.

She gasped outraged though before his arms could even reach her shoulders. She grasped his face in her hands and lightly brushed under his eyes. "How much sleep have you gotten lately?"

Tom shrugged indifferently. She tapped his cheek, causing him to flinch, and scolded him saying, "You work too much."

"Tell me about it" I added, shaking my head. From behind Julia's back I saw Tom glare at me, and I smirked back. Really my comment was not taken in the way I had meant it, except by Tom.

That evening had gone, without so much as an un kind word between Tom and myself. Occasionally there would be the annoyed glance that passed between us, but with us, right now, that was a very large improvement.

I had finished helping with the dishes when I walked through the house to the dining room where I had placed my purse, in hopes of finding my phone. But as I walked down the small hallway I heard voices conversing in whispers. And being the excellent eves dropper I was, I leaned against the wall to hear the voices more clearly. I caught on quickly that it was Tom and Chris, and they were placing the china back into the china cabinet as they whispered.

"You'll need it, I can barely handle one of them." I heard Tom say, and I could picture him shaking his head.

"Well it will get better when Lil gets older." Chris consoled.

"Oh yeah, sure it will. You know what teenage girls are like. I can't wait to be responsible for one." Tom said sarcastically.

Chris chuckled, "You're not doing it alone, you have Cas."

Tom slightly sighed. "Yeah and if Lily grows up to be anything like her Mother...I'm in trouble."

My teeth grinded together in frustration.

"What is going on with the two of you?" Chris asked after a moment of silence.

Tom sighed again, "I don't know. It's like everything she does annoys me to no end. I can barely stand to see her every day, because I know that we are just going to get into another argument. I actually like it more when I leave, than when I am with her."

I felt something cloud my vision, but it wouldn't distract me from the conversation at play.

"Have you ever thought of counseling?" Chris asked reluctantly.

"She wouldn't even go to therapy when her Father died. I hardly think that she would agree to anything like that. And besides who knows what kind of person wouldn't rat us out to the press or something. I don't think I could take us being in the spotlight. I have tried so hard for so long to keep them out of it."

"You can work it out. You still love her and everything right?" Chris asked hesitantly. And instead of answering right off the bat and becoming offended that he would even ask such a question, Tom paused.

The ground seemed to shake under my knees as I felt a pricking pain in my chest.

"I...I'm not sure anymore...so much has changed. I didn't have this in mind when we got married. I'm just not that happy anymore."

With a defining crack to my heart. I lost everything.

I walked off, forgetting the reason I was even going into the dining room in the first place. When I reached the dip of the hallway, away from sight, I slid down the wall. I ran my hands over my face feeling entirely drained from the information I had just acquired.

Instead of being angry or upset, I found myself slightly relieved. Because for the most part I felt the same way, though maybe not to the same extent as Tom. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest, leaving scattered remains that were already beginning to heal.

Then I realized that everything was going to change, how the small event of just accidently hearing a conversation has potentially changed the course of my life.