A Broken Family

Jin Pov.

   This may be one of the hardest things I've ever done. How do you tell a person that their sister, that they just got back, is gone?! We all are outside the camp, just waiting. We step up to the gate, and the two guards block our path. "We can't let you in this time." It is hard to tell what they looked like, because of a helmet, but it's male.

   "What changed?" Adam asks. The man shuffles on his feet.

   "Jason is, well he won't tell us what is going on! He's been acting strange, and he keeps asking for his sister. We tried to find you guys, but you moved!" 

   "Did he order you to not let us in?" I inquire. He gives a short shake of his head. "Then open the gate!" He's intimidated by me, knowing I'm a Seven. No, an Eight. No matter what, Jess was a part of us. J-Jess... it hurts to even think her name. The gate is slowly raised, and we stride in. I recognize the command tent, the most likely place for Jason to be. I gesture to it, and the others follow. 

   "Umm, Jason?" Ross asks tentatively. There's a rustle inside, and the flap opens.

   "Thank the goddess you're here!" Jason looks tired, and weathered.

   "Are you okay?!" I exclaim.

   "No I'm not okay!" He looks panicky. 

   "I uh, wasn't expecting that." He sighs.

   "Where's my sister?" He notices our faces fill with grief. "I-Is she okay?" 

   "I-I-N-No, she's not." Red manages to stutter. Jason looks concerned. I have no idea how to break this to him! 

   "Is she hurt?!" He demands. 

   "Sh-She's gone." I can't, I just can't. My words cut me like a knife.

   "N-No, y-you're lying!" He reads the hurt on our faces. "N-No..." Tears start to spring from his eyes. I've never seen him break his calm, and collected front, other than anger. Never puzzled, sad, or emotional. This is a first. After a long moment he speaks. "I-I got a l-letter of s-sorts. I-I didn't know what i-it meant, but..." He trails off, and suddenly it seems like a dam has broken. He's full on crying, not even bothering to hide it. "Just l-leave. Th-There's an open t-tent, you can st-stay there. W-We'll talk in th-the morning." I nod, and step out, eager to give him space.