Locked

I took out the white gold chain you gave me on the night of our 2nd anniversary from the small jewelry chest on my dresser.

I couldn't help the little smile that tugged on the corner of my lips as I inspected the small key hanging on its end. I remembered what you happened when you gave it to me.

After dinner with your family, we didn't get to spend some alone time as you wished we could earlier that day. I guess it was because you let me and you sisters bond with your sisters first.

Yes. I saw you watching me and Riza from the corner as we whispered girly stories to each other and giggled like the oldest best friends.

Yes. I saw you staring when Angel and I played games on her iPad and took selfies with Pixeltoons and Snow.

Just before midnight, I decided it was finally time to go home. I have been intruding in your home for too long already and Ate Patch has called a few times already asking what time I would get to the resort.

I saw the sadness in your eyes when I finally said goodbye and after a few more minutes of hugs and conversations, you walked me to the van.

"Hatid na kita dun." You said.

"Wag na. May driver naman tsaka may work ka pa bukas. Sa Monday na lang tayo magkita." I answered.

You sighed and quietly nodded your head. We stood there silently for a while and I could feel the weight of unspoken words in the air.

"Sige, RJ. Alis na ako ha? Thank you." I finally broke the silence.

"Maine..." You looked straight into my eyes and held my hand.

"Ano yun?" I smiled but your serious expression did not change.

"Thank you." You said quietly.

"You're welcome."

"Maine?"

"Oh?"

"Yung... yung letter mo... you said..."

"Yes?"

"Anong ibig mong sabihin na as long as you're with me, you shouldn't be afraid anymore after you said that you... you love me?" You asked and inhaled deeply, holding your breath before slowly letting it go.

"What do you think it means?" I said.

"Hindi ko alam or alam ko pero ayoko namang i-pressure ka pag sinabi ko sa'yo tapos nag-assume lang pala ako."

"Okay. Ang labo nun ah. Ano bang nasa isip mo? Sabihin mo lang. Promise, di ako mape-pressure." I said.

You took another deep breath and held my hand tighter. You stared into my eyes quietly and I could almost hear the gears turning in your head as you decided whether to tell me or not.

"Eto na lang, Meng." You said and took a small box from your pocket. "Ibibigay ko na lang itong gift ko sa'yo."

You handed me the box and I received it. I looked at you after I opened it and you answered before I could even ask the question in my mind.

 I looked at you after I opened it and you answered before I could even ask the question in my mind

"Susi yan..." You let go of my hand to get a titanium bracelet from your pocket. "Nito." You said as you wore the chain around your wrist.

"Naka-lock na yan gaya ng pagka-kandado ng puso ko sa'yo. I don't mean to go anywhere else but with you. I don't want to be with anyone else but you. Ikaw lang ang mahal ko, Meng, ngayon sa habang buhay. Kaya naka-lock na ito." You said pointing to your wrist. "Ito." You uttered as you pointed to your temple. "At higit sa lahat... Ito." You whispered as you laid your hand over your heart. "Ikaw lang ang may hawak ng susi, Meng. Ikaw lang."

You stepped closer to me and I felt like my breath was going to escape me right then because my heart was pounding like crazy in my chest and my spirit was soaring with overwhelming love and happiness.

You took the chain, placed it on my palm and closed my fingers over it.

"Maghihintay ako, Meng. Pag handa ka na, isuot mo to at malalaman ko kung tama nga ba ako or mali sa iniisip ko sa sulat mo. You have full control over this, Maine. I love you at nakakandado na ako sa'yo."

"RJ... I..."

"Ma'am, aalis na po ba tayo? Tumawag na po kasi ulit sina Direk. Nag-aalala na po sila."

I sighed and turned to my driver. "Opo. Sabihin niyo po paalis na tayo." I then looked at you and whispered. "I have to go."

You nodded your head and smiled. Finally. I smiled back and hugged you before kissing your cheek and getting in the van.

Tonight, we didn't meet for date night. I cancelled because I knew you would be tired from rehearsals and you'll need your energy for Dabarkads Goals tomorrow.

My phone beeped. I read your message saying goodnight. I texted a goodnight back, my cue to call it a night and go to sleep but before I do...

I looked at the necklace again and decided where it should be tonight.

Not back in the box but around my neck.

********
Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Thank you for reading.