Yours

I lie in bed at 6am still devoid of sleep. I can't stop thinking about you and everything that happened last night.

"Ano ba? Hindi pa ba talaga dapat? Just when I was ready to go for it, to just let myself be with him, to commit myself to him... some girl calls him."

I sigh and stare up the ceiling for the hundredth time. I can't help overthinking. I try to stop my train of thought from derailing into negativity.

I keep asking myself why?

Why would you have some girl's number? Why when you tell me you love me? Why?

Then I realize, why not? You are free to do so. You are free to keep your options open.

"Siguro nga I'm not good enough for him. Sino lang ba naman ako?"

My phone rings for the first time in over an hour. You must have called a over fifty times since you left but I didn't answer any of them or look at any of your text because I feared the confirmation of my worst thoughts if I do. That you have finally grown tired of me and decided I'm not really the one you want to be with. I was ready to ignore the call one more time when I saw the name on the screen. It's Dean.

He's calling to ask me if we could go get some drive-thru breakfast at Mcdonald's. I tell him that he should stop bothering me so early in the morning and that he can go do that himself but he answers we haven't been spending much time with each other for a while because of our busy schedules. What sister wouldn't say yes to that?

We go out and return with our food bags within an hour, just enough time for me to eat before preparing for work.

"Sino ba yang ka-text mo? Ang aga-aga? Madapa ka uy!" I scowl at my brother as he types on his phone while walking with me to the elevator.

"Bakit? Ikaw lang ba pwede makipag-harutan sa text?" He grins and I roll my eyes at him.

We get in the elevator and he looks at me time and again with a silly grin on his face.

"Problema mo?" I ask irritatedly.

"Wala. Mukhang ikaw meron. Sungit mo eh."

"Ewan ko sa'yo." I snap and ignore him.

"Menggay, may nakalimutan pala ako. Mauna ka na." Dean says when the elevator doors open the snatches the paper bag in my hand before pushing me out.

"Hoy! Anong???" Before I finish my question, the doors close to my face.

I sigh and shrug then turn to the direction of our condo unit.

"RJ..." I gasp as I find you in front of the door with a huge bouquet of yellow roses and carnations with white tulips, big enough to cover your entire torso.

There are two human sized teddy bears beside you, the brown one on your right holds a sign that says I'm sorry and the yellow one on your left says
I ❤️ You.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito nang ganito kaaga? How did you get all these at this hour?" I ask.

"Hindi na importante yun." You say sullenly, your eyes red and swollen now brimming with tears. "Ang importante, malaman mong gagawin ko ang lahat para sa'yo at para sa'yo lang, Meng."

The tears you were blinking back now slowly trickle down your cheeks as you walk towards me. I hold my breath with each step you take as my heart roars achingly inside my chest.

You stop just a foot away from me then go on one knee and look up at me with the most regretful eyes.

"Mahal na mahal na mahal na mahal kita, Miss Nicomaine Dei Mendoza. Please maniwala ka na ikaw lang, na sa iyo lang ako, na ang buong puso at pagkatao ko, ikaw at ikaw lang ang mamahalin." You bite your trembling lips as you wipe your tears.

"Jay..." I call softly and noticing the my voice breaks as I did, I also find my own tears dampening my cheeks.

"Maine... Eto..." You say taking your phone from your pocket. "Search my phone. I erased and blocked the number. I do not care about her or anyone else. Ano pang gusto mong gawin ko? Ano pa? Sabihin mo lang. Gagawin ko lahat. Please, Meng... Maniwala ka..." You say before you look down and sob.

I sit down and place a hand under your chin then I raise your chin so I can see your eyes.

They speak to me of your sincerity and love and I cry openly in front of you, once again revealing my whole self to you, open and vulnerable like I did when I kissed you last night.

"I believe you." I whisper.

You drop the bouquet on the floor and scuffle towards me than wrap me in your arms. You hold me close and kiss my temple over and over as you whisper you love me over and over.

For minutes we hug and cry on the floor in front of our door in the empty hallway. When we are finally calm, I sigh and pull away so I can look at your face. It is then that I see it and I laugh heartily.

"Ano yan?" I giggle as I point at your black shirt.

"Ito? Matagal na itong binigay sa akin. Sinuot ko na para wala nang magtanong pa. Balak ko tong isuot kahit saan ako magpunta para malaman nang lahat, that I am yours, Maine." You smile proudly.

I laugh some more then smile at you. "You don't have to. Ang mahalaga, I know. Ngayon, alam ko na. At sa iyo lang ako lagi maniniwala. I will not ever question your love for me again."

"Thank you, Menggay. Thank you so much." You whisper as you cradle my face in your hands and touch our foreheads together. "I can still kiss you, right?" You grin.

"Abusado ka." I giggle and hit your arm. "Tsaka na. Ako magki-kiss sa'yo, pasok muna tayo. Gutom na ako eh."

And so we collect the items you brought and go inside.

********
Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Thank you for reading. 💛