Surprise

June 26:

Yes, I meant not to post my traditional touchdown tweet that you can still see on your private account, answer your seven missed calls and reply to your sixteen messages asking if I already landed in HongKong.

I know you must be pissed off by now thinking I didn't miss you or that I'm not thinking about you but that is the total opposite of the situation because the truth is there was not a single second that you weren't on my mind.

You, Miss Maine Mendoza, have taken permanent residence in my heart and mind.

I did all that to surprise you. I have brought a couple of pillowcases from your room that I got from Dean because I remember you saying last night that you find it difficult to sleep without the smell of your pillows. I can understand why, these smell great.

So, I have them, Lang Leav's Anthology of Love book set and a box of Godiva "G" collection chocolates in my backpack. Hoping all these and my presence make you happy.

I get in the van and thinking what I would say to make you laugh or spark up a conversation when I knock on your door later. I did ask around and I know you're up in your room now, resting and getting ready for dinner, after a morning of shopping.

"Pick-up lines kaya?" I say to myself and think of a scene.

Kakatok ako at lalapit sa kanya na mukhang tuliro tapos sasabihin ko. "Hi. May problema ako. Nalimutan ko room number ko. Madalas na nga akong makalimot pati pangalan mo nakalimutan ko na. Can I call you mine?"

"Langya. Ang corny nun. Baka batuhin ako." I mutter and think of another.

Ilalabas ko na yung chocolates tapos kakatok ako. Pagbukas niya, tatanungin ko siya ng: "Chocolate ka ba?" Tatanungin niya ako ng "Bakit?" sabay sasagot ako ng: "Ang sarap kasi ng ngiti mo."

"Mas waley. Malamang isungalngal nun sa'yo tong box ng chocolates." I sigh. "Joke na lang kaya. Benta naman sa kanya mga waley kong jokes."

So tatanungin ko siya pagbukas ng pinto. "Maine, anong hayop ang laging nakatingala?" Magugulat siya pero siyempre out of habit magtatanong siya ng "Ano?" Tapos sasagot ako. "E di giraffe." Magtataka yun, magtatanong ulit. "Bakit?" Tsaka ko ibabanat yung punchline. "Kasi giraffe siyang yumuko."

I laugh at my own joke then stop coz I realize it might not be as funny to you. "Baka naman sa akin lang yun nakakatawa. Mapikon pa yun sa akin."

I sigh and slump back on my seat thinking of other jokes or lines or quotes to open an interesting conversation when I surprise you but nothing else comes to mind and before I know it, we are parking in front of the hotel.

I get inside, walk through the lobby, get my keycard, greet everyone, ride the elevator in auto pilot mode because my mind and spirit are already standing in front of your door, contemplating whether to knock or not.

When I finally get to your door, I take a deep breath and ultimately decide on what I am going to say. "Hi, Maine. Suprise! I miss you."

I close my eyes, inhale deeply and exhale slowly then press the button to ring the doorbell.

I hold my breath and stand speechless in awe of what I see when you opened the door.

There you are with your hair tied up in a ponytail, light makeup and the little black dress I boldly told you before that I am totally crushing you on.

I was expecting a frown and a pout when you greet me and yet you stand there smiling.

"RJ!" You beam and leap forward to fling your arms over my shoulders and hug me tight. "Buti na lang andito ka na."

You then pull away and look at me. "Kumusta flight mo? Pasalubong ko. Isu-surprise mo ako kaya di ka sumasagot ano?" You giggle. "Di mo ako masu-surprise memorized ko na mga paandar mo. May dinner tayo mamaya ha. Magbibihis ka pa ba? Andiyan pa lahat ng gamit mo. Dito ka dumiretso? Sa kabila kwarto mo uy. Di ka pwede dito. Magagalit si Tatay. Speaking of... Alam mo ba? Hirap na hirap akong mamili ng ipapasalubong sa kanya, samahan mo ako ha? Tapos..."

You go on talking and smiling and giggling and occasionally poking my dimple and lightly hitting my chest as you laugh.

I stare mesmerized at you for a while, quietly watching as you animatedly tell me about your vacation so far with a smile on my face, thinking I absolutely want to spend the rest of my life with this amazing woman.

"Huy! Ano?" You say, hitting my arm hard. "Tulaley? Kanina pa ako nagkukwento dito. Di ka man lang nagsasalita diyan."

I sigh and smile with my eyes glued on your lovely face. I pull you back into my arms and hold you close.

"Miss na miss kita, Menggay. Sasamahan kita, kahit saan. Sabihin mo lang. Susunod ako. Ngayon hanggang kahit kailan." I whisper.

I hear you sigh and feel you rest your weight on me then snuggle on my chest. "I miss you too, RJ. Tungkol sa shopping pa din naman ang usapan natin noh? Hindi naman yun wedding vow?" You chuckle.

"Pwede din naman." I smile and close my eyes then kiss your forehead and rest my cheek on the top of your head. "Kung yun ang gusto mo."

You don't answer. You just quietly pull me closer and take a deep contented breath.

Surprisingly, that's enough for me.

********
Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Thank you for reading. 💛