Upsurge

I was picking up my things from the makeup table and was getting ready to leave when I heard a unified gasp from everyone inside the dressing room then two strong arms wrap around me from behind.

There was no doubt in my mind who it was. By the scent of your cool and musky perfume mixed with your sweat, the way you instinctively tucked your chin on the crook of my neck and gently touched your nose and lips on my skin, by the sound of your racing heart beat hammering on my back which matched the roaring rhythm in my chest when you hugged me and by the apparent flawless molding of my body against yours, I knew it was you. It was you, RJ.

"Uy! Si Alden Richards to! Eeep!" I giggled and you chuckled.

"Ginulat mo ako ha? Ang weird kasi alam kong nandito ka dahil may prods nga tayo pero nung makita kita sa audience. Jusko! Kinabahan ako at kinilig. Miss Maine Mendoza yun oh, nanonood sa concert ko." You laughed.

"Siyempre number one fan kaya ako ng Pambansang Bae." I laughed with you then you fell silent.

"Uy! Anong nangyari sa'yo?" I asked.

"Kanina kasi when you were sitting there katabi ng family ko, I saw a glimpse of how you chatted and laughed with Ate and Riza na parang barkada, how Angel looked at you with admiration at kung paano ngumiti sina Dad, Lolo at Lola sa'yo na parang grateful din sila na kasama ka nila, na nandoon ka for me. Naisip ko lang..." You paused and sighed.

"Na ano?"

"You belong there. With our family. Someday I wish I get the chance to make it official." You said, not hinting, not expecting, just being honest.

"Who knows? Maybe... Someday." I sighed and leaned my back against your chest.

"Thank you, Maine. Thank you sobra." You whispered in my ear as you squeezed your arms tighter around me.

I smiled and hugged your arms then leaned my head on yours. "You're welcome."

Then I heard you sniffle and I felt you bury your face on my shoulder and your tears seep through my shirt.

"Sorry." You mumbled and let me go when you realized you got my shirt wet.

"Uy!" I turned and looked at you worriedly and found you chuckling and shaking your head as you wiped your tears away. "Iyakin ka talaga. Anyare?"

"W-wala... S-sobrang saya ko kasi." You struggled to say as your sobs broke each word.

Your sobs and tears became a couple of hands that held my heart and squeezed each time so I launched at you. I slipped my arms around your waist and hugged you tight. You rested your forehead on my shoulder and I let you cry on it while I gently stroked your back.

"Thank you, Maine." You whispered again, this time an explanation followed. "Totoo lahat ng sinabi ko kanina sa'yo. Alam ko mas gusto mo to hear those words in our private conversations pero kahit sinabi ko ang mga yun sa harap ng lahat please know na galing yun sa puso ko."

"Alam ko." I sobbed. I didn't realize I was crying too until I heard myself sob.

You sighed and looked at me then gently wiped my tears away. "I thank God everyday for blessing me with someone who turned my life into a glorious mess. Dumating ka na parang isang daluyong sa buhay ko, Meng, na wumasak sa mga pader ng okay na, kalma na, sakto na at binaha ako ng sobra-sobrang kaligayahan. You showed me na pwede pang mas maging masaya, yung sumasabog sa saya at ma-look forward na maging mas masaya pa. Unlimited pala yung ngiti, yung tawa yung pagmamahal na pwede dito." You said as you clutched your chest. "Kaya salamat, Maine, for being outrageous, for always doing something unexpected, for always surprising me for being in my life."

"And I thank God for you. You changed my life in a single moment. You turned it upside down with one smile. Thank you, Richard Faulkerson Jr. for bringing magic into my life." I smiled despite my tears as I wiped your cheeks dry.

You pulled me back into a tight hug and whispered "I love you, Maine." then kissed my temple.

"You know how much you mean to me right, RJ?" I whispered back and snuggled on your chest.

"Alam ko." You answered and at that moment that was enough for you, for us.

Maybe someday I will be able to tell you how much I love you too.

*********
Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Thank you for reading. 💛