Steadfast

I watched you quietly push around the food on your plate. It was a Sunday. Over a week after I went to your home in Bulacan and asked for your parents' permission to marry you... erm... I meant court you.

I  rang your doorbell at 6am and you once again joked about me possibly being of Chinese descent for going to your place and wooing you so early in the day.

"Gusto ko kasi na ikaw ang unang kong makita sa umaga kaya pinagluto kita at dinala dito. Sabay na din sana tayo pumunta ng GMA." I said and you blushed. You're so cute when you do that and then tuck your hair behind your ear while making that  wacky grade two face.

You are some girl, Maine Mendoza!

"Halika na nga. Aayaw pa ba ako? Libreng pagkain na oh." You answered.

"Si Dean?"

"Tulog. Mamaya na yun babangon pag malapit na tayo umalis. Pasok ka na muna."

So we went inside you condominium unit. I have been there before of course. I can still remember how we kissed on that couch after the Coldplay concert and I could feel a warm fuzzy feeling inside just thinking about it. I sensed you fidget a little when we walked past it and I knew then that you felt the same way.

You took the bag of food from me and arranged the containers on the table before getting two plates and two sets of utensils.

"Coffee? Tea? Or..."

"Ikaw." I said and you stopped mid-step on your way to the kitchen counter. "Ikaw? Kung anong sa'yo yun na din sa akin."

You smiled in relief and said. "Okay." You made to cups of coffee and handed me the one without cream. It still amazes me how you remember those little details about me. It somehow made me feel that I meant more to you than what I would allow myself to think.

You sat across from me and put food on my plate and then yours but you barely ate your food. Somewhere between our conversations, you just fell silent.

"Maine? Anong problema?"

"Huh? Wala. Wala to."

"Maine, kaibigan mo pa din ako di ba? Walang nagbago. You can talk to me about everything and anything."

You sighed and nodded you head. It took a few minutes before you finally spoke.

"RJ? Remember when sometime early last year, you got that offer for a soap na iba ang ka-partner mo?"

"Oo." I shrugged. "Tagal na nun ah. Anong tungkol dun?"

"Naalala mo yung sabi ko noon, na kung mangyari nga na may i-partner na iba sa'yo sa projects. Okay lang sa akin. Handa ako. Susuportahan kita. Ganoon pa din ha? Kaya pag may dumating ulit at itanong mo ulit sa aking kung okay lang, ganoon pa din ang sagot ko." You said as you reached out and held my hand and sighed.

"Ikaw ready. Ako hindi. Ikaw lang ang gusto kong makasama. Kaya hinintay ko yung pagkakataon na ibinigay para sa atin." I said as I enclosed your tiny hand between both of mine.

"Hindi ka ba nagsisisi?"

I shook my head a little too furiously I guess because I was hurt. I was hurt because I can feel you doubting your worth again.

"No. Never. Hinding-hindi ko pagsisisihan na pinili kita. You are worth it. Always." I held your hand tighter and stared deep into your eyes.

"They will keep trying, you know? It's what they think is best for the business. Insurance in case the other management does not agree to their terms. They will keep experimenting. They will keep offering you stuff you won't be able to resist." You said.

"Then I will keep saying No. It will always be a No."

"What if they try to show you how wrong you are sa decision mo?"

"I will keep proving them wrong. Maine, kahit kailan hindi maling piliin ka." I told you and I was trying my best to hold back my tears.

"Paano kung mapagod ka na? Tama pa bang ipaglaban mo ang desiyon mong piliin ako?"

I shook my head again and this time the tears flowed freely. I quickly brushed them away and I held your hand up to my chest, clutching it tight.

"Kahit kailan hinding hindi ako magsasawa, hinding hindi ako mapapagod na ipaglaban ka... tayo dahil mahal kita at dahil kahit kailan hindi naging mali na ipaglaban ang puso ko, ang buhay ko at ikaw yun, Meng. Ikaw ang puso at buhay ko." I sobbed as I kissed your hand.

"RJ... Alam mong gagawin ko din yan para sa'yo dahil ikaw lang din ang gusto kong makasama." You said as you wiped the tears on my face. "Ikaw at ako?"

"Walang iwanan. Walang baguhan." I continued and before I could even realize what was happening, you have gotten out of your chair, leaned in and gently kissed my eyes.

Then you slowly kissed my tear stained cheeks and then my nose. I held my breath the whole time and each kiss sent shivers down my spine and made my heart race. I closed my eyes.

Your lips were right next to mine. I could feel your breath on my skin. I was ready, anticipating, aching to taste your kiss again.

"RJ?" You whispered.

"Meng?"

"Paano?"

I opened my eyes. "Ang alin?"

"Hindi naman tayo?" You smiled and slowly got back to your seat.

I sighed and grinned back. "Eh ikaw lang diyan eh."

You fell silent again.

"Tsaka na when I'm good enough for you, when I can say I'm the best for you, when I feel that I'm worthy of you."

"You are."

You sighed. "Pagod ka na ba sa insecurities ko?"

I shook my head. "Hindi. They give me a reason to love you more and more and I will continue to love you even more until you finally learn to love and believe in yourself."

"Thank you for loving me, RJ."

"No, Maine. Thank you for letting me."

*********
Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Thanks for reading. 💛