Chapter 23

It was a cold morning, frost had built up on the edges of the glass windows. So that the garden looked like a foggy sponge of green and grey. The cold of winter brought what was a warm autumn to an end. I fiddled with my fingers as I awaited the Doctors response.

I hadn't been feeling well for the past few weeks. Somehow, I already knew what was wrong with me. However, the few words that would slip out of Doctor Gernard lips would confirm it.

"So, doctor? What is wrong with my wife?" Luke asked standing at the bottom of our bed watching the doctor carefully. I had suggested that he wait outside and wait for the doctor to Finnish his inspection, but he wouldn't have it. Stubborn.

"When was your last bleeding my lady? "he asked after checking my temperature and pulse.

"It's late doctor. It's never late" I confirmed. Waiting for him to tell me what I wanted to hear. Luke wanted children quickly, and pleasing my husband was what I wanted.

"Then, there is nothing wrong with your wife sir" he stood up to address Luke.

"Don't you lie to me, she has been throwing up Every morning and is as pale as snow" Luke snapped.

"Morning sickness is very common in pregnancy my lord" the doctor confessed "Congratulations your wife is with child" Mr Gernard looked back to me.

I let out a breath of relief. I watched Luke's shocked face change to one of surprise. "Thank you doctor," I smile. "May I talk to you tomorrow about the formalities?" I asked.

Mr Gernard nodded. And left the room. "Are you happy dear?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes, I am so happy my darling" he grinned. His eyes were sparking.

I couldn't help my roaming hands that settled on my stomach. "You're going to be beautiful my baby" I hum softly at my tummy, my hands caressing the pale skin. It was still mostly flat and somewhat normal but soon she would begin to show dramatically, and she would need new gowns to accommodate theoretical New arrival.

"I can't believe it!" Luke smiled giving his wife a kiss "I'm off to tell our families, you rest my dear." He grinned before studding out of the room.

On his departure my eyes glanced at the window, and for a brief moment my galloping mind flickered back to a night, an unforgettable night.

My skin was warm but dispute our rigours activities I couldn't fall asleep. Beside me lay James, his hair scattered over the bedding as he snored softly. "James" I whispers trying to get him to awake. "James" I hissed again with little results.

I smiled softly as I brought my lips down to his shoulder blade and began pressing open mouthed kisses up his back, onto his neck and behind his ear. Once I reached his ear lobe, courage filed me as I brought my teeth to the lobe and nibbles and kissed him.

Finally, he let out a soft moan. Lifting his head to look at me. "Elenore" he moaned again laying down, his eyes were wide open now. I leaned down to kiss his parted lips letting my fingers get tangled with the hair on his chest.

I opened my eyes from my little eyes with a gasp, and a tighten on my core. Why was I thinking about the king? My eyes glanced to the slight bump on my belly with realisation.

This child, it couldn't be Luke's. We have only been married for less than a month. I reached for the side of the bed a pulled on the string summoning my maid.

"Fetch me the doctor" I demand skidding down. I reach for my dressing robe and sit In front of the roaring fire. For a few moments I picture of a little girl running around the palace hits me, she has James' eyes and hair colour.

"You called for me Lady Elenore" the doctor summoned.

"Yes, please sit. I have questions about this pregnancy. How long have I been pregnant for?" I ask

"I predict, around eight weeks My Lady" he answers back.

"Right" I whisper softly. "I trust you keep this information to yourself Doctor, for not even my husband can know" I warn.

"Of course My Lady. I will write up a full list of foods to avoid and which to eat and have it sent in the morn" he smiles.

"Thank you doctor, that is all I for now" I smile.

I rush into my room pulling on a simple day dress and rush towards my parent's quarters. Only to find a very happy Luke standing with a glass of wine and big smiles on my parents faces. "Elenore, congratulations" my father smiled.

"Thank you, but I really wanted to have a word with mama" I smile softly.

"About what?" Luke questions in a suspicious tone. So now he is jealous of me spending time with my family.

"Just women's things dear." I smile reassuringly, a look that I had mastered to fake ever since our wedding. Mother more as we walk into my old bedchambers. "The baby isn't Luke's" I start.

She turns around with a frown "it's the kings? But how are you sure?" She questions stepping closer to me.

"I asked the doctor, he said that I was probably eight weeks pregnant. I was with the king eight weeks ago." I shudder.

"But it was only the one time, didn't the king use protection?" She questions. Most monarchs did so to avoid bastard children.

"The first time we did. But..." I trail off being ashamed.

"Oh!" She quickly realised.

"Luke doesn't know, I asked the doctor privately. But Luke is a clever man he will find out sooner or later"

"No, he won't. Because we will talk to the doctor and tell him to estimate the due date a few weeks later when he tells your husband. And when he arrives early to say it was premature" she is pacing as she says this.

"Okay" I whisper. "Thank you mama". For the first time, grateful to have a scheming family. I felt security wash over me for the first time in a long while.