Chapter 15

My wedding dress was beautiful. A light blue with lace and ribbons. The colour complemented my skin mother said. The details of dark blue, white and silver flowers all hand stitched onto the bodice. I turned around with a happy giggle. "I love it, thank you" I smiled looking up at the designer.

And I did. I had never owned a dress so beautiful. I couldn't wait to wear it for the wedding in a few days. To see Likes reaction when I he would see me.

"Of course, madam. We are talking the Marquess suit to match. We need the measurements of your bridesmaid miss?" She asked.

"Yes, of course, I'll bring her in tomorrow if you have time?" I ask with a smile not taking my eyes off the dress. Luke's favourite colour was blue. And so is mine, now at least. His eyes are blue. A beautiful blue, the colour of a stormy summer sky, the colour of a dark sky just bursting with rain. I smiled again admiring my reflection.

Changing out of the dress reluctantly, I slipped on a simpler day dress. Getting ready for my activities with Luke. A knock to sounded at the front door of the living quarters. "Come in" I call happily.

"Lady Elenore, you have been asked for a private audience with the king in his Library" my smile faded.

I was on my way to have tea with Luke. "Yes, of course. Could you send someone to Marquess Luke Huntington to tell him of my whereabouts and apologise, please?" I ask.

"I'll deliver the message myself miss" he bows before scurrying away.

I smooth out my dress and walk towards the Library. My hands golden In front of me. My heart racing, quickly. I don't want to meet with the king. I know what he will want me to do.

"Good afternoon your highness" I bow as I entered the room.

"Ahh, Elenore please come have tea with me" he gestured to the set-up table of tea and cakes.

Last time you had tea with me, you made me your mistress. "Of course, your highness" I moved over and took a seat In front of him. And sat quietly as he poured the tea.

"I trust you are more at home in the palace?" He asks

"I am your highness" I add before receiving my cup of tea. "Thank you for your concern" I add.

"You don't have to be so formal with me Elenore." He snaps. His voice harsh and almost angry.

"Of course, I should. You are my king. And deserve to be treated as one"

"Then why have you refused to tend to my needs, if you are so loyal?" He snaps again putting down his cup.

"I am soon to be married my lord," I add quickly trying to keep my sanity and my temper in check.

"Well once you're married it will be easier for you to tend to me" he adds with a sneer. I couldn't believe my ears. He wanted me to be unfaithful to my husband.

"I won't be living at the palace once I am wed. I am going to get as far as I can away from you James" I snap finally. " You only care for your own needs above all others. I do not want to tend to your needs. I don't want to sneak around with you either. So please, please just let me go" I feel tears roll down my cheeks. My heart is racing fast, I can hear it. I find myself standing up. My arms wrapped around my chest.

"Why do I repulse you so?" He asks standing up offended.

"You repulse me, James. I just want to be left alone. To live a normal life. I should have never agreed to be your mistress in the first place." I snap again. I can't tell him that even the sight of him right now makes my heart beat, that the sight of him makes me want to be his, and only his for the rest of my life. I can't tell him that his engagement was the single-most heart-breaking event to happen in my entire life.

"Let me tell you something my dear. Once you are wed. You will be tending to me. I don't care if your husband gets jealous, because he should be honoured that his wife is serving a king." He grins approaching me.

"You too will be married James" I add glaring at him from across the table.

"What does that change?" He laughs humourlessly "I'll have rights to land, money and men in Spain. But my needs do not change." He grins.

"Please let me go" I beg. "Leave me be" I add. "I just want to live my life with my husband" I beg. Falling to my knees. My sniffs becoming sobs. My chest heaving for air. I can't breathe, my mind fogs up. "I can't breathe" I pant pulling at my corset. "I can't breathe" I gasp for air, feeling my body lose its strength. I collapse onto the floor and give up.

"Elenore!" The king yelled. "Someone helps me!" He cried again.

"Elenore!" I hear Luke cry out. I couldn't handle that life. A life in misery. A life of lies, jealousy, scandal. All I ever wanted was a man. A husband. I wanted his children. I wanted him to come home, and be happy to see me, whisk me in the air and kiss me to the heavens. I wanted nights of laughter, love, lust, friendship. I wanted to kiss my child's head as they closed their eyes and fell asleep. I wanted a house with a garden for them to roam around and play.

I wanted a family.

I wanted a life, that would have been mine.

If we had never stepped foot in this palace.

If the king had never taken interest in me.

If Luke had never loved me.

If I were already dead.

It was like, the heavens were picking my limp, sad. Body up. Flashing images before my eyes of everything I could have had. Of Everything I wanted. Then in an instant they disappeared, almost as quickly as they came.

I felt, hollow. Cold. And frail. I saw a man, an old man, his fingers running through my hair and down my face. I could see that my hair too was grey. We were old. "Go my love" he whispered, his voice coming out horse and sombre. "I'll see you in the gardens of heaven my dear" he added. Looking down at me, his eyes shown with love. "We had a wonderful life my sweet. You and I" he laughed, his chuckles soon turning to coughs. I could feel my body let go, unwilling and unready. My heart beat for the man, a few more times. I could feel it stop, hear it stop. It was the last thing I heard.