Chapter 20

George Point of View

With my sister gone, I couldn't help but notice an extra bounce in my father's step as he paraded the hallway behind the king. Who seemed in a mood. One that I could only describe as due to the loss of my sister's presence from the castle. She had a way with men, first the humble doctor then the king and now her Marquess husband.

All in the time that I had spent longingly looking at Lady Lilly.

Without my sister to fill the lady's day, she seemed to hide away back into her shy petit personality. She was to cue, too innocent for court. I had to get her, before a sick fat ugly bastard did. "I trust your sister has left the castle?" The king asks me seated down at his meal, with his lords and advisors around him.

"She has, your highness."

"Then I will give you permission to oversee the refurbishments on my cousin's new chambers. I want them situated in the vacant chambers near my rooms." He declares. His awkward deceleration raises little attention as I nod.

"Of course, your highness." The pit of my stomach churned at the thought of the sick bastard being so close to my sister. He still had his wicked intentions.

I finished my meal so that I could go talk to Lady Lilly. Once the king excused us for an afternoon off I was quick to make my way to find Lady Lilly seated in the room used for social exchanges. She was of course reading. I felt jealousy. The book gets to spend more time with her then I. Her fingers wrapped around its cover so delicately. "My Lady, I trust you have settled into the palace life?" I asked tucking my hands behind my back so that she cannot see my nervous fidgeting.

"Oh, my lord." She blushed giving me hope. "Settled in?" She breaths "a. a not quite" she looks down.

"I was wondering if you would like to take a turn about the gardens with me?" I asked needing to be away from prying eyes. She looked up almost shocked but nodded softly. I lead my elbow out for her to hold as we walked towards the gardens. "Where did you live before here?" I asked hating the silence.

"Near the Scottish border, on my father's estate," she explained.

"Ahh, so far away from the hustle and bustle of anywhere I've ever lived?" I laughed. She smiled fondly up at me. Her eyes gleaming up at me.

"You're very different from the other men at court" she added quickly.

"And you are very different from the ladies at court" I add as we walk towards the rose garden.

"Is that so bad?" She laughs. I look down and laugh before repeating her in referral to the previous question.

"Is that so bad?"

"No. I only meant that you were a good different. The other men seam so forcefully and greedy. But you. I don't see any of that in you. I apologise if you took it as an insult" she looks down blushing yet again. My heart jolted happily. Her little rant was proof enough that she was as affected by me as I was of her.

"I like how oblivious you are at all the lustful gazes of the men. With your nose stuck in books all the time." I smile.

"I've always read. There wasn't much to do at my father's estate but read" she added.

"I must confess I am not much of a reader" I add.

"Oh?"

"Mm... I am more an outdoors kind of man. Although as of late I am stuck to the Kings tiresome affairs" I add. We reach the roses and we stop. Their scent filling the musky air with a soft sweet fragrance.

"I must confess my interest in you My Lady" I add turning around to look at her.

"Your interest sir?" She breathed.

"Yes. As soon as I saw you. I knew I could not live a life without you. Forgive my forwardness but I fear that if I do not say it now, I shall never have the spur to say it"

"Do I take this as a proposal?" She whispers looking up unsure. I watch the confusion flash before her eyes.

"Yes," I breath back letting out the air from inside my chest.

"I don't even know your name?" She breathes.

"George. Please just say yes. I'll ask you, parents, immediately. But I could never be able to ask them to know that you did not feel the same." I search her eyes, looking for anything. Everything. A little sparkle or shine.

"I do feel the same. How could I not?" She giggles lightly, sending happiness into my heart. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and after all this time.

"Is that a yes my lady?" I ask.

"Yes, and you'd better start calling me Lilly then" she smiles. Her eyes shining like a dozen diamonds and stars.

"I'll go ask your parents" I smile before taking her hand and running back to the castle.

I smoothened out my suit and hair. The dinner meal was about to begin, and so I made my way towards her parents. "Duke McGrove, Duchess" I greet.

"Ahh, you must be the young Lord Westwood" he greets.

"I am sir. I trust you have settled into the palace?" I ask not knowing where else to start.

"We have. Only our youngest daughter seems to be taking Palace life quite hard" the Duchess adds.

"Yes, I had noticed. But it was because of your daughter that I wanted to talk to you about" I add.

"Yes?" The Duke asks his eyes sizing me up.

"I must confess My interest in your daughter, sir. And with your blessing would like to ask for her hand in marriage" I ask tucking my hands behind my back quickly.

"You seem like a good lad. I will discuss this further neither my wife and daughter and will give you your reply in the new day" I nod and excuse myself.

"What were you speaking to the Duke about?" Mother asks handing me a pitcher of wine.

"I asked for his daughter's hand in marriage" I add before taking a sip.

"And did he?" I could hear the smiling mother was wearing as I told her that.

"He said he would discuss it and give me my reply in the morning" I add.

"I am proud of you George" she smiles up at me. I can't help but keep my eyes on Lilly from across the room. She is stunning, and I prayed that she would be mine.