Chapter 11

The king left with a bounce in his step. "James!" I called before he went through the door. "Brush your hair" I giggled watching his messy locks stick in every which way.

"Good bye darling" he grinned.

"I'll see you in your chambers" I replied neatening up his dress shirt. He might be a king but that doesn't excuse dishevelled attire.

"You don't have to anymore." he started.

"Mm... but I want to" I grinned. Watching his face shine as he left shutting the door behind him.

I fell back with a blissful sigh. Enjoying the peace and quiet. The door buckled open. "Sister, are you alright?" I could see my family shuffle into the door. Followed by the young doctor

"You won't believe it mama" I smiled sitting up. "The king wants to marry me" I giggle.

In the next few moments my family's emotions were unexpected. All of them showed horror and shock. I expected that expression from Anthony but not from my parents and brother.

"What?" My father bellowed. "That's impossible" he gasped.

"Papa? Is there something you're not telling me about?" I asked quickly snapping out of my excitement. I thought they would be happy for me, what I had done for the family.

"The king is engaged to the Princess of Spain. A much-needed alliance for this country."

My heart stopped. I needn't have asked them to repeat the words, as they run over-and-over in my head. My lungs gave way into a sob. "Then why did you let him choose me as his mistress. Why would you let me fall in love with a man, then rip him away?" I sobbed. My lungs couldn't catch a breath.

"Darling, you must calm down" mother soothed. "We only learnt about this the morning after your first night. There was little we could do to stop you then." She brought me into her arms, brushing my hair away from my face. She embraced me until I became too tiered for crying, too tiered for anything. My heart had been taken, stomped on and burned. I felt stupid, for trusting a man, a man I had just met.

My body boiled with anger. The king will pay on his assault on my fragile heart. "You'd better go to the festivities, I will rest now" I nod.

"Brother!" I call before he leaves. He waits until everyone had left before approaching my bed. "Can you all for Marquess Luke Huntington and ask him to come here immediately. Tell him it's a favour for a friend" I ask.

"You're not going to bed the king's cousin, are you?" He asked crinkling his nose.

"No. But I am going to the festivities tonight and need a friend who will help me. And he is always in the mood for a little bit of enjoyment." I smiled.

"My sister has grown. " He chucked leaving. I pulled the bell calling my maids to ready me for tonight's feat. Tonight, I would wear the most extravagant gown mother got me and show the good king all that he has lost.

I was put into a corset. My hair was pulled in every direction and powders and oils applied to my skin. After all the pain. I smiled at my reflection. I looked beautiful, more beautiful than ever.

Slipping on some comfortable shoes I thanked my maids. Walking would hurt a lot but this had to be done. "You called for me?" the Marquess asked.

"Yes, I need your help. I'll explain on the way. " I nod standing up and sucking in the pain.

"What happened?" He asked noticing my wobbling.

"I was running through the woods without shoes and now my feet are cut up" I explain trying to adjust to the pain and forget about it.

"We will never get to the dining Hall like this" he whispers before tossing me up in his arms unexpectedly.

"What are you doing" I shrieked couching onto his neck with a giggle. He strode out of the room and out of my families chambers.

"Now start explaining" he nodded walking us out and down the hallway.

"James proposed to me" I blurt guiltily. "I accepted" I add in a whisper not even believing it now that I am trying to comprehend it all.

"Oh!" He sighed in realisation ",but he is engaged to the Spanish Princess" he added.

"Exactly. I knew you would have understood." I smiled as he put me onto the ground.

"And you want revenge and want to jealous the king in front of his court." He states.

"Not exactly, but I need help forgetting. I need to move on from this" I admit as he settles me onto the ground.

" In any case, would never pass an opportunity to ruffle my cousin's feathers. Lean on me," the doors open, and I smile up at his cheeky smile. He acted like a little kid sometimes.

"Your wicked Marquess Huntington" I laugh as we enter the extravagant as always hall.

"Please Elenore dear, by now I would expect us to be on first name basis. Call me Luke" he beams holding his hand out for me to hold. Considerately he moves slowly, checking my steps before moving forward.

I could feel the glares from around the room. I couldn't help but feel radiant with happiness that atleast in this greedy, unforgiving court, I had one friend.

"Shall we dance?" He asked.

"My feet" I whispered

"If you wrap your arms around my neck. I'll lift you up, so you can dance on your toes. I trust they are not cut up?" He asked. "Plus, if you want to do this you have to do it right."

"Let's" I laugh. Every time we turned around. He would give me a full commentary on the people around us. If they were pretty, ugly, staring at us. What the gossip was. I found it entertaining and all thoughts of James left my mind for just a moment.

"Mm. you see that plump woman in the red frock. She had an affair with the king's butler to get information for her husband" when we turned I got a look at her stuffing something into her mouth. I giggled softly. "So, have you found any wife potentials?" I asked.

"I might have." He smiles. Setting me down and pulling away as the music stopped. We bow and walk over to the side to a bench where we sit down.

"Mission complete. His royal jealousness is walking in our direction" he smiled as my eyes and pointed down to my lap. "Deep breaths, I'll be here" he whispers under his breath, allowing me once again to use him as support.

"Lady Elenore, I trust your injuries have not healed yet? Did the doctor not prescribe rest?" I could tell that just beneath the surface of his polite suggestion as jealousy and anger.

Bitterly I added a smile before answering in a light voice, "I was going to, but Luke has a way of persuading a woman to do just about anything" I smile up at Luke. "His company has been so magnificent in my stay in the palace. I could not refuse" I direct my smile back to the king.

"My cousin is quite the charmer" he added through gritted teeth.

"Oh yes, he is. He was just telling me about your engagement with the Princess of Spain. An alliance like that will surely strengthen our great nation. Congratulations your highness" I bow.

I meet his eye. "And thank you for your kind offer this afternoon your highness but I must humbly decline" I add staring him straight in the eye.

Looking down I notice his looming tall figure disappear. "You did well Elenore. You don't have to worry about him again"