Chapter 10

"How did they do it?" I asked moving my legs to bend In front of me. We sat by the lake

"Who?" He asked before sitting down next to me with a sigh, not mindidng that his clothes would get dirty.

"All of your other mistresses. You have had many, surely they had a means to cope court?" I asked, my eyes transfixed on the flame.

"I never headed much attention to my other mistresses. Their only use was to please me. I didn't care much for their personal lives" he replied slowly.

"If you would excuse my My Lord. I best ready myself before the evening festivities" I bowed quickly getting to my feet and rushing away. He was very clear, he did not care for my petty problems. As long as I opened my legs he was satisfied. Striding away not bothering to step over sharp twigs. A numbness came over my feet. I tried to pay no attention to it.

Leaving my slippers  on the path. A hand couched onto my arm spinning me around. "What happened now?" He growled.

"You made it very clear that you don't care for my wellbeing as long as I spread my legs to you, my lord. And so, I assumed that you hadn't the time to listen to me about my problems. You are a busy King after all. If you would excuse my lord, but I wouldn't want to waste any more of your precious time" I bowed again walking away. He must have been too stunned or too annoyed to move as I made it to my rooms safely. I felt exhausted and strolled towards my bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow I fell asleep. Enjoying the thoughts leave my mind for a moment.

I am unsure for how long I slept but I could hear the commotion from within the room. My eyes opened slowly to notice my mother sitting sadly beside my bed.

"Elenore" my mother whispered happily.

"What's going on?" I asked looking down to notice I was wearing my nightdress.

"Your feet were covered in cuts and we're bleeding and dirty. I came to help you get ready only to find you motionless and injured on your bed. Doctor Gernard has come and cleaned them up" she soothed.

My heart leapt into full gallop "Doctor Gernard mama?" I asked.

"Yes, the good old Mr Gernard has retired from his duties and sent his son. The king was looking for a new doctor and so your father suggested him" she smiled.

"Where is the doctor? I should ask if he has any news on Jane's wedding" I asked feeling excited to see a friendly face. I wanted to see my friend, my mind didn't even think about how we parted in my parent's orchard.

"Let me fetch him" she smiled and walked out.

The door creeked open and I tightened the shall around my shoulders. "Lady Elenore it is always a pleasure to see you" he smiled.

"What are you doing here Mr Gernard?" I whispered with a smile.

"I told you, I was unable to let you go. Every day I worried that something would happen to you. Now I can be here to care for you" he smiled.

"Things have happened. I am no longer looking for a husband. I have duties to a man and can accept no other" I started feeling my heart go numb. The doctor was the type of man I imagined marrying and starting a family with.

"But?" He paused for a moment. "It sounds like you're a mistress?" He asked. When I didn't respond he looked up shocked. "Elenore, what have you done?" He whispered squeezing my hand. I placed the other on top, to reassure him.

The door burst open, revealing a not so happy king. "That is all now doctor" he growled as his eyes were fixed on our united hands. I could see the doctor put two and two together, but I focused my attention on the king. He left with haste, allowing the king to take a seat on the foot of my bed.

"You never let me finish. I might not have cared for the other woman. But something inside me cares for you. Every moment of every day my mind is on you. And not just your delectable body but you. Your smile, your laugh, your flaming red cheeks. I wonder what your reading, who you talk to. If I ever cloud your mind like you cloud mine?" He answers.

"What are you saying James?" I ask feeling confused.

"I don't know. But I cannot imagine life without you. Or another man's seed buried in your womb. I can't imagine you with another man's child, or your lips kissing anyone but me. I am done with mistresses. I want you. Marry me Elenore" he whispered.

"James" I sigh happily "my darling James how could I say no to you?" I whisper. "I was scared because I didn't know how to express my feelings for you"

I watch his lips decent down to me, meeting me in a blissful soft kiss. A moan escapes my lips as his hands pull my hair. "My heart is yours my king" I breath looking up into his eyes, my breath still labours.

"And the rest of your body too" he grins making me laugh.

"You should go to your celebrations my darling" I whisper.

"I'm celebrating right here" he moans sadly.

"Go, we can't have you forgetting your duties because of me" I smile softly.

"I'll be back" he grins.

"I'm sure you will be" I smile kissing his chin. "Goodbye my king"