The apology

Write about someone apologizing without saying the words 'sorry', 'regret', or 'apologize'.

Arthur had come into Merlin's room unable to look Merlin in the eye.

"Ummm Merlin."

"Yes sire?"

"I'd like to, umm... I wish to speak to you about an incident that has recently occurred."

At the moment Merlin was laying on his bed shirtless, covered in bruises. His other pants had been shredded, so Arthur gave Merlin one of his old pairs of pants that fit Merlin perfectly.

" I have made a mistake, and... I was too hard on you, I wish to give my condolences for the trouble I have caused."

"You mean breaking my ribs?"

"Umm yes, ah, I didn't mean to, I didn't realize the strength I put into that, nor did I remember how fragile you were."

"Did you just call me fragile?" Merlin stood up despite the pain in his lower ribcage, and walked right in front of Arthur. "I warned you that you would break my bones if you continued. Did you listen? No. Now you're here wishing your condolences, and you can't even find it in you to apologize. I'm sorry, but I'm done with things like this, I quit." After saying this Merlin walked back to his bed. Arthur looked down at Merlin's toned body, and felt desire. Like every time he saw Merlin. Arthur needed Merlin around to keep himself sane. To stay the kind Prince he'd become with Merlin's help.

"Merlin I-"

"No you pompous dolt! You don't seem to realize how much I do around here! You seem to believe im some lazy, no good idiot that does nothing right! I do the chores you tell me to do, I have my chores from Gaius, I actually do save your life all the time, despite what you may think. I've lost many friends, family members and people I've come to love over the years while working for you. Multiple times I've put my life in danger to save yours. I've been forced to keep secrets from you, because you'd never accept me if you knew. I need a break. One where I'm not on bed rest." After he'd told Arthur all that, he rolled into his side looking away from Arthur.

Merlin had been talking about his magic, but Arthur took it as something else. I've been forced to keep secrets from you, because you'd never accept me if you knew. These words were replaying in Arthur's mind. Was Merlin... Attracted to men too? He'd basically said it...

So now what was Arthur going to do? He could leave. He could do his second option of talking to Merlin, or... He could do his third option...

Arthur walked over to Merlin's bed still deciding. Second, or third...

"Could I... Could I see?" Arthur asked as he sat on Merlin's bed.

Confused, Merlin looked up at Arthur questioningly until he saw Arthur gesture to his stomach. So he rolled onto his back giving the Prince access to his stomach.

Arthur had decided to do a mixture of his two choices, but the third option would be more prominent.

Arthur put his cold fingertips on Merlin's hip bone, and started gently moving his fingers around the less bruised areas. At this Merlin shivered. Arthur took this as permission to keep going. "I'm sorry Merlin. Please don't quit, I think we have the same secret."

The cold against his stomach was stopping Merlin from moving. After a few seconds Merlin figured out what Arthur had ment. He gasped from both the shock, and the pain when Arthur's hand went across a broken bone. Merlin didn't know what to do, he liked this feeling, and either way, if he told Arthur to go away, he probably wouldn't leave because of the whole 'who's the Prince here?' thing.

As Arthur was stealing Merlin's warmth, he felt his confidence grow. Silently, and too quickly for Merlin to notice, he leaned down and started kissing Merlin.

Soft lips landed on Merlin's, and he liked the feeling too much to stop Arthur. Arthur's lips had somehow hypnotized Merlin into kissing him back. To Merlin's dissapointment, Arthur pulled away.

"One day Merlin I'll be king and I'll change the laws so we don't have to hide anymore. Until then, would you care to stay my servant?"

Merlin nodded, still wondering what the hell just happened.

"Oh and Merlin, I expect you back as soon as Gaius allows it. I seriously can't stand Goerge." Those were the last words Arthur said before he left behind a very confused Merlin.

.